Replacement power button for desktop?

It's an HP Pavilion 533w and it has the original 7 pin connector on the end. It has somehow shorted out. I can turn the computer off with it, but can't turn it back on. I have to take the power cable from the back of the pc in and out until it automatically reboots. Is there a way that I can rig it, like people do with speaker wires?(cut/splice/tape)

Yeah, it's pretty simple as long as you're VERY careful at what you're doing.

First, find the two wires connecting to the power button and disconnect them. Whenever these two wires touch each other, it's like you're pressing the power button. So you could use some speaker wire to extend it outside of the case, and use it like that if you want to.

If you want to do something cool, you could find a small voltage cool-looking power button/switch at radio shack, and connect it to that.

Hope this helps! :)

Source(s): I've done it before =P