Serious computer issues?

We have a Nexlink laptop that is about 3 years old, and used frequently. I was online about 20 minutes ago, browsing through Facebook, having no problems at all. I disconnected from the internet (which is nothing unusual with our wireless) and couldn't reconnect. Usually when this happens, rebooting seems to... show more We have a Nexlink laptop that is about 3 years old, and used frequently.

I was online about 20 minutes ago, browsing through Facebook, having no problems at all. I disconnected from the internet (which is nothing unusual with our wireless) and couldn't reconnect. Usually when this happens, rebooting seems to fix it. However, this time when I rebooted, it seems everything went wrong.

First - I can't connect to the internet. I've tried going to Control Panel>Network Connections, but every time I click on Network Connections, it freezes up and won't load anything. I can't even close it without doing Ctrl Alt Delete.

I also tried to bring up the anti-virus program (Defender Pro) and I get a message saying the program is not responding. I have done this 3-4 times now with no luck. What is going on with our computer?? Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you so much for any help.
Update: Now when I reboot, it only loads the background of the desktop. When I tried to run it in safe mode, it did the same thing..
Update 2: Okay, after posting this, I was able to run a system restore for a couple of weeks ago. I was then able to reboot in safe mode, and reconnect the internet. I rebooted again, and now everything seems to be working okay. I still can't get my anti-virus up and going, but I have e-mailed support about that, so... show more Okay, after posting this, I was able to run a system restore for a couple of weeks ago. I was then able to reboot in safe mode, and reconnect the internet. I rebooted again, and now everything seems to be working okay. I still can't get my anti-virus up and going, but I have e-mailed support about that, so hopefully it will be resolved soon. Thank you SO much for all your help!!