Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is it true that Thomas Edison become a Christian on his deathbed?

hahaha, thats funny in a strange way.

I think it's the idea of somebody living/enjoying their life, "sinning" as much as they could, and then repenting/converting when they know the time has come when they might be punished.

Like having their cake and eating it lol

Dunno about his life though, apart from the obvious/famous bits.

Darwin definitely did not recant evolution, that was shown to be a fabrication long ago. I'm not sure about the other two, but I highly doubt Thomas Jefferson was a deathbed convert.

No, he was a deist when he died.

The story you are talking about is a rumor about Charles Darwin. The “Lady Hope Story”, published in 1915, claimed that Darwin had reverted back to Christianity (he was agnostic, not atheist) on his sickbed. The claims were refuted by Darwin’s children and have been dismissed as false by historians.

• No absolutely not. But the rumor is about Darwin not Edison and has been debunked.

A woman named “Lady Hope” spoke to a church group shortly after the death of Charles Darwin. She claimed that she was at Darwin’s bedside on the day of his death. She also claimed that Darwin recanted on evolution and accepted Jesus on his deathbed. Her claims are not only unsupported, but are directly opposed by Darwin’s daughter, Henrietta. Henrietta stated “I was present at his deathbed, Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. I believe he never even saw her, but in any case she had no influence over him in any department of thought or belief. My father never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier. I am upset that the U.S. Christians have fabricated this conversion nonsense. The whole story has no foundation whatever.” February 23, 1922.

I don't know, but I've often thought about faking it when I'm near death (assuming that I have some warning) just so my family will feel better about it. Not my own family, but my parents and sister. My husband and kids can be in on it.

most likely no.

Pretty convenient little lie for the gullible among us though.

Yes.

No the light that he saw was a bulb

Is it true you became an atheist on your birth-bed?