Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastSaudi Arabia · 1 decade ago

Does Saudi Arabia allow all medications without prescription?

Are all medcines available in Saudi or we have to bring them along

Update:

What are the banned/controlled drugs? where can i get a list of them??

Update 2:

My wife is on anti-depressants, tranquilisers and other drugs... will i be able to bring them with me ??

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

you dont need prescriptions at all.my mom had prozac and zoloft no! said anything

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Get Medical Consultation Online : http://OnlinePhysician.neatprim.com/?Hnkz
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

KSA does not allow to buy all medication over the counter, but KSA isn't a 3rd world country either. You can buy medicine over the counter or have a prescription. That's it.

No reason to take the risk to bring in any banned/controlled drugs and get charged/punished for doing so.

edit: the medications mentioned by you are not available over the counter. Your wife has to visit a doc and get a prescription. To bring these kind of medication you need a detailed medical report stating why she needs the medicine. This report needs to be attested by the Embassy of KSA. (How should customs know otherwise that your doc isn't a fake, because they can't verify the signature). With this document you are allowed to bring a certain amount into the country.

Below please find a list of banned/controlled list of the UAE which is similar for KSA.

http://www.gulfnews.com/images/06/11/14/controlled...

Source(s): me
  • 1 decade ago

This is not an easy question. Compared to North America several medications that require prescriptions; you can get here over the counter. Heart Medicine, GERD's, NSAID, ED, Blood pressure, Cholesterol can all be bought no problem. However anything narcotic requires a prescription.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mintee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I agree with "me" 's answer up there.. to be safe get the document approved by the saudi embassy in the country where you are coming from.

You dont know the place you might also have a layover in and might get in trouble with their customs officals also.. best be safe..

but as for medications available here..

Saudi hospitals tend to run on a German/American type pharamacutical system.. We have all major drugs that USA carries, and tend to ban all major ones that USA bans also..

and yes like the last answer.. there are some pharmacies that seem to turn a blind eye and will sell you anything.. I think profit fever has hit some pharmacy owners more than legal issues.

• 1 decade ago

this depends on the customs officers and his mood :)

any way, restrictions on medications are less in Saudi Arabia than in US, I used to by medications in Saudi Arabia without prescription, but here in the US the prescription is a must

• Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

because saudi arabia is a 100% Islamic country. but keep in mind that christians are allowed to practice christianity, they're just not allowed to spread it or build churches.

• 1 decade ago

I've heard that there are some meds that aren't available here. But, you can talk to your pharmacist and ask him what equivalent meds you can opt for. My advice would be to visit a doctor once you get here and let him help you decide what meds you should get on here because you don't want to change one of your meds and then have drug interaction problems.

• 1 decade ago

no..........all medical are not allow .............but some are allow but with prescriptions medical is allow.....

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.