What's Difference between HP & BHP ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the losses caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump and other auxiliaries. The term "brake" refers to a type of dynamometer which uses a band brake to measure torque during the test. Modern engine dynamometers don't always use a "brake" to measure torque so the term BHP is used in the traditional sense.

BHP/HP, in the modern sense, is absolutely determined with all the accessories, intake and exhaust system attached (the gearbox and differential are obviously not engine accessories). What you are thinking of is the old "gross HP" measurement that American car makers in particular used to inflate the actual HP the engine would produce when installed in the car... And "gross HP" hasn't been used in at least fifteen years in India since the time of early Cielos!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Bhp Horsepower

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Horsepower (HP) and Brake horsepower (BHP) are really the same thing as far as mathematical calculation. The difference is how it is measured. Brake horsepower is usually a measure of an engine's horsepower at the shaft WITHOUT anything attached to the engine that would normally be required like the water pump, alternator, power-steering pump, airconditioner, etc.

Brake horsepower is usually a theoretical calculation or a measurement made only in a lab under controlled conditions since an engine cannot run without most of the things that it would be required to remove. In the lab/shop they would conect the engine to the dynomometer and then supply coolent, oil pressure, electricity, etc through external means.

Source(s): New Delhi, India 5:30 PM // 20.08.09
  • torry
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Hp And Bhp

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HP means Horse power and BHP is Brake Horse Power. In an engine, the total power developed inside the engine by the burning of fuel does not actually comes as output power. There are certain losses caused by friction, cooling and to the engine exhaust. The net power output which is available for our actual work is known as Brake Horse Power or BHP. It is measured in labs using some instruments such as prony brake dynamometer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HP is Hewlett Packard

and

BHP is Botswana-Harvard Partnership

• 1 decade ago

The same difference as we have with BP and BHP

• 1 decade ago

HP Means Horse power gen use the capacity of machine ex.Car bike

and BHP means British Horse power i don't know where is it use but meaning is correct.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ok well...on topic

As for Power if i say my Supra has 300BHP, that is exactly the same as saying my Supra has 300HP. They mean the same thing which is Horse Power. Just mainly European countries etc like to say Break Horsepower and others say Horse Power. There is no difference :)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.