Hindu Bharamin Rituals conducted on attaining the age of 70 and 80, what are the significance of it?

1 Many Hindu Bharamins do rituals on attaining the age of 70, and again at the age of 80.. What is the significance of these rituals?

2. Is there any similar rituals conducted in other religions at the age of 70 and 80?

I wish only those who are well versed in this subject to enlighten me.

thanks for your time

Update:

Sri Radhakrishnan has given a detailed account about homam after completing 60 years. I wish he / or some one can elaborated about the rituals after the age of 70 and 80 and its significance , i will be very happy

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

yes, i will answer your question. i want to give some details before my answer...

you must know the details about 1. shashtiaptha poorthi, 2. Bheemaratha shanthi and sadabhishekam. shashtiaptha poorthi represents the completion of 60 years of age, bheemaratha shanthi completes 70 years of age, and sadabhishekam completes 80 years of age.

ok. we will go step by step. please don't go to 2nd step direct.

1. shashtiaptha poorthi:

The grand old lady Avvaiyar told that it is rarest rare to be born as human and also it is very rarest rate to be born as a human without defects such as like blind, deaf and dum.

''Aridhu aridhu maanidarai pirathal aridhu, adhaninum aridhu koon, kurudu, sevidu indri pirathal''.. the translation into english was in the first paragraph.

so, it is a great thing to be born as human being, and that too crosssing 60 years is a best reward of God. The hindu calender have 60 years cycle. After completion of 60 years he enters in the 2nd span of cycle. In the second cycle only we are having bheemarath shanthi, and sadabhishekam functions. A human who is swallowing 60 years is not at all an ordinary matter.what about his experiences, what about his sufferings, what are the difficulties he faced to uplift his children...so, it is the hour we to do some actions for him. so, this is the opportunity to celebrate his 60th birth day called shashtiaptha poorthi. shashti - sixty, abtha - year, poorthi - complete. we do not remember our first abtha poorthi function..i mean our first year birth day. we don't know anything because we are only an infant of 1 year. we cried on the pain of ear piercing and head shave. The next birth day will be on 60 years completion. The birth days between 1 and 60 are celebrated just for joy, happy. No significance attached except to express our age.

The man for whom we celebrate shashtiaptha poorthi knotted mangala thirumangalyam on his wedding day, and now also at shashtiaptha poorthi, he knots again another Thirumangalyam to his wife. This function will be conducted like a marriage. All steps will be taken by the sons and grandchildren. why all go to Thirukadayur Amirthkadashwara swami temple where Goddess Abhirami is ruling and blessing those who worships.? All those who go there will be on their convience, but it is not a must, but may be it is a must. In Thirukadayur temple, swami Amirthakadeshwarar protected markandeya from the clutches of yamadharma. so, it is taking much importance. There is a sannadhi for yamadharma raja. so, we do the yagna called mrithugna homam to please the yama, the puller of life.

From Ganapathi homam, we perform Rudra homam to please God shiva and all rituals as told by the Guruji or shashtiji will be performed.

The 70th birth day is called bheemarath shanthi. we perform poojas like shashti aptha poorthi.

The completion of 80 years age and stepping into 81st year is called sadabhisheka year, where we celebrate the 80th birth day celebrations. we perform poojas, homams under the guidance of shashtriji. No special attachment except his crossing the age of 80.

The family members are doing with joy and happy. we generally say that the person for whom we celebrate sadabhishekam witnessed 1000 moons in his age.

significance : The fondness over him. The services rendered by him.

Source(s): my view
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Miriam
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The Question is what is the significance/importance of upanayanam? In today's concept, what is the correct age for it? i am frank in this matter. The question was read correctly by haritaji. There is an unnecessary argument here by one member with the questioner. This will lead to misunderstood the motivation of the question. When a member come with a question in order to explain people about a celebration/function, it is the duty of the members to give good answers. This is a good question, and maximum co-opertion and good answer only needed. Though madam Revathy, as i know good knowledgeable member spoils her talents in wasting arguments. it is better for her to avoid arguments in her answers. it is not an advice, a suggestion. Radhakrishna sir said that Revathy madam told many doing upanayanam before a day of marriage. it is told by the respected Mathangirani and not Revathy madam. After seeing Radhakrishna sir's wrong observation, Revathy madam edited her answer and included this ''day before'' marriage just 10 minits before. A questioner is expecting good answers from the members and not arguments. The arguments in a question make the question weak and fully sideline the motivation. i am happy if members understood this simple matter.

• 6 years ago

I am about to perform my Bheemaratha shanthi and tried to find out the purpose and details and so consulted a pundith who is well versed in this. This is what he told me. It is to be performed on the doer's birthday when he completes 69 and enters the 70th. At this time he and his family members are vulnerable to a mruthyu called "bheema" and hence the name. The performance includes Guru Prarthana, Ganapathi pooja, punyahavachana, pancha gavya prashana, naandi, kalasha sthapana, Ganapathi homa, Navagraha homa, Bheema ratha homa (with the manthra "sthuhishrutham garthasadam yuvanam mrugaannabheemahathumugram, mrudajarithre rudrasthavaano anyanthe asmannjvasanthu senaah") followed by homas for iys adhi devatha (brahma) and prathyadhidevatha (Vishnu). Then Mruthyunjaya homa, Jayaadi homa, poornahuthi, avabhruth snaana for the couple from the thus sanctified kalasha water, wearing new clothes, dasha daana (dana of 10 items like gold, silver, cow & calf, bhoodana, sesame,.etc ). Next is Brahmana bhojana. The rest is all social. I intend adding Viraja homa to wash away sins. This performance when done properly and with utmost sincerity (shraddhaa) will save one and one's family from Bheema Mruthyu. Hope this is of some guidance to sincere seekers. Namasthe.

• friend,

In Hindu Sanatana Dharma , there are only 60 Years with names Prabhava, vibhava....etc.After 60 Years again these repeat again.

So it is possible only in this system that a person, who believes in the Hindu dharma, who lives more than 60 years is able to see again the year that person was born again.Suppose one is born in Vibhava naama samvatsaram, he can again see that Vibhava naama samvatsaram after 60 years.this is not possible in European calendar.suppose one is born in the year 2009 AD.He can never again see the year 2009 AD again in life after any number of years.

Shasti poorthi ( completion of Sixty years ) is the one that Hindus perform.

This is performed to ovoid any unforeseen bad events in the balance. life .

So in order to avoid the any evil effects of planets, if they are there,

their effects will be reduced by doing certain Homams and poojaas.

So after completion of Sixty Years, both wife and husband (Shasti poorthi is done when Husband completes 60 years of age ) sit together and perform these Homams and poojas.

normally 1.ganapathi homam 2. Ayush Homam 3.Mrutyunjaya Homam 4 .Navagraha japam and homam, 5.Vaastu Homam and 6 Maha Rudrabhishekham are performed and finally hari seva ( normally called Anna daanam) is done. That is Several people are served with devotion and food is offered to their satisfaction and their blessings are obtained.

That much only I know.Scholars may please enlighten further.I will be thankful. .

EDIT;

as far as I know after completion of 70 years or 80 years no shanti Homa-japa poojas are done .

But after completion of 1000 Full moon Darshans , a ritual called ''sahasra Chandra Darshanam'' , that is the person lived and saw 1000 pournami chandraBimbam are performed.

This is to one has completed in the life journey 1000 Lunar months.( this approximately corresponds are equal to 86 years ) in Sun based Calendar that we normally follow in our life for office etc..But exact calculation is made based on date of birth because there will be extra Lunar months some times ( To correct Lunar calendar), called adhika maasams.

Then too all shanti japa-Homas and poojas are done and a person is deemed as lived a FULL LIFE.

That much only I know and add to answer.the scholars can throw more light for the benefit of all.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 years ago

The rituals are meant for not only to brahmins but to the whole mankind (Sanathanis). Sanathani (follower of Sanathana Dharma) is one who believes that{1} there is only one Almighty and the sages call HIM in different names- Ekam Sat viprah bahutha vadanthi. {2} the whole world is a single family- Vasu deiva kutumbakam {3} the whole world should be in peace-Loka samasthu Sukhino bavanthu and {4} knowledge should come from every direction-Aano batra kratvo yanthu vishwathaha. It is quite imperative to mention that this noble philosophy- unlike semetic religions' - is quite unique one and still practised only in this part of world i.e., BHARAT and ceased to exit elsewhere. The SOLE PURPOSE of the birth is to protect DHARMA and fight against ADHARMA and NOTHING ELSE. The so called events are not meant for celebration but to invoke HIM to bestow HIS BLESSINGS to carry out the duties i.e., protection of DHARMA. {Regretted for improper sanskrit pronunciations, if any)

• 4 years ago

sir

is it essential that wife should be alive during this performances of shanthis i. 60th, 70th, 80th

and if wife or husband not alive, what type of shanthi one should do ???

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.