Hinduism~ A question about Parshurama...?

How long did Parshurama live ? Parshurama was present during Lord Rama's time(Treta yuga) and after another Yuga, (dwapar yuga)... he again appeared during Mahabharat times... he even fought with his disciple Bhishma.

How could Parshuram live so may centuries.? or there is another reply to this paradox?

Update:

YAMUNAAIT: What the hell are you talking... I never reported your question... in fact i never report any question except it is insulting and abusing hinduism.

You seem to be suffering from some complex.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

1) Chiranjivins (Sanskrit nominative sing. ciranjivi, चिरंजीवी):

The word is a combination of "chiram" (long) and jivi (lived).

"Aswathama Balir Vyaso Hanumanash cha Vibhishana Krupacharya cha Parashuramam Saptatah Chirjeevanam"

Which means that Aswathama, King Mahabali, Veda Vyasa, Hanuman Ji, Vibhishana , Krupacharya and Lord Parashuram are death-defying or imperishable personalities.

Markandeya, a great rishi and Jambavan are also considered as Chiranjivins.

2) Edited, for Sri. Veers:

Aswathama did not attain the so called Chiranjitvam before or during the last day of Drona's life. It was a curse from Lord krishna after Aswathama killed all the sons of Pandavas with his Brahmastra.

(i) Mahabharata, Book 7: Drona Parva, Chapter 191:

Drona in fact did not believe Bheema's words that Aswathama was dead. Recollecting however Drona soon came to believe that it was false. Hearing, therefore, of his slaughter, Drona did not become unmanned. Indeed, soon recovering his senses, he became comforted, remembering that his son was incapable of being resisted by foes.

He had already killed twenty thousand Panchala car-warriors.

He killed five hundred Matsyas, and six thousand elephants, he slew ten thousand steeds. He took the Brahmastra then. Rishis Viswamitra, Jamadagni, Bharadwaja, and Gautama, Vasishtha, Kasyapa, Atri, and others came there and informed Drona that his end came and requested not to use that deadly weapon. They also said, "Lay aside thy weapons. Drive away the film of error that shrouds thee. Adhere now to the eternal path."

Then Drona asked Yudhishthira the truth. The acharya thought that Yudhishthira would not utter an untruth, even for the kingship of the three worlds.

Yudhishthira said, "Yes, it is true that Aswathama has been killed." He continued, " Aswathama, the elephant".

When Drona heard that his beloved son had been slain, all his attachment to life snapped. And desire vanished as if it had never been there.

(ii) Mahabharata, Book 10: Sauptika Parva, Chapters, 15 & 16 :

Aswathama could not take back Brahmastra and with that killed the sons of the Pandavas. But Lord Krishna gave rebirth to the foetus, that of Parikshit.

Lord Krishna cursed Aswathama as follows;

"Always engaged in sinful acts, thou art the slayer of children. For this reason, thou must have to bear the fruit of these thy sins. For 3,000 years thou shalt wander over this earth, without a companion and without being able to talk with anyone. Alone and without anybody by thy side, thou shalt wander through diverse countries, O wretch, thou shalt have no place in the midst of men. The stench of pus and blood shall emanate from thee, and inaccessible forests and dreary moors shall be thy abode! Thou shalt wander over the Earth, O thou of sinful soul, with the weight of all diseases on thee."

3) From Wikipedia:

"Aswathama's weapon could not be withdrawn and he was given the option of choosing any single target to destroy. Out of strict observation of his promise to Duryodhana, Aswathama directed the weapon to the wombs of Pandava women. Among them was Uttara, Arjuna's daughter-in-law.

At this time, Uttara was carrying the unborn Parikshit, son of Abhimanyu, who upon birth would be the future heir to all the Pandava brothers.

The Brahmastra weapon was successful in fatally burning the foetus, but Krishna revived the stillborn child and cursed Aswathama with leprosy and to roam the world for 6,000 (3000?) years as an unloved castaway. In another version, it is believed that he is cursed to remain alive till the end of the Kali Yuga. It is believed that Aswathama migrated to the land currently known as the Arabian Peninsula. Another version goes to say that he is still on Earth in the form of cyclones and typhoons. An old fort near Burhanpur, India called Asirgarh has a Lord Shiva temple on top where it is believed that Aswathama offers a red rose everyday to Lord Shiva early in the morning."

• hema d
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Ramayan comes first. Mahabharat in the next "yug''.

Parshurama...The Sixth Avatar of Lord Vishnu.If he appeared in two yugas...may be hi was immortal...after tretha yuga he went for meditation...hindu mythology immortals keep meditating for ages together ...again he appears in dwapar yuga

I trust in our scriptures.... What is the purpose of these scriptures and Morals...i trust only what that books said...i dont trust the persons are real or not....if rama avthar is there or not ....thats not matter for me...i love rama's characters and dharma.

• 1 decade ago

The longevity of many people mentioned in mythology does have a scientific rationale. The tortoise which has a low pulse rate lives for many years and mice which have a very high heart rate closer to 300 live for very brief periods . The healthier athletes as is well known have low heart and respiratory rates. Thus a 'cooler' or 'serene' metabolism and physiological processes which tend to be at basal levels or sub basal levels lead to no or very insignificant wear and tear of the anatomical infrastructure of body, much like a building without wind , water or such erosions or 'weathering' lasting longer than an urban apartment. Even during initiation of Transcendental Meditation we will be instructed to observe our lower pulse ,cooler limb ends, lower respiratory rates as a proof of successful meditation . The penance performed by these sages must certainly be of many millions of times higher order in terms of concentration , spiritual caliber and in turn attainment of a higher plane of 'BEING' if it can be so termed. Thus a person beyond ordinary /mundane with physiological atonement and a power to control all the processes as next step of attainment certainly lives longer and is quite scientific..... Their mental/intellectual attainment /realization further imparts them the ultimate cerebral and autonomic control . They also consume minimal satvikaahaara which is also metabolically least offensive and only nutritive to the necessary extent. The curse by Krishna is imparting the energy that He possesses to control and modify Einstein's fourth dimension , TIME.. or PERIOD and thus Aswatthama 'was made to live ' longer which is a punishment for spiritually lower mortals as compared to a sage not bothered about 'physical' seeking the ultimate 'spritual'.......

• According to us ( Sri Sampradaya ) there are two types of primary or direct avatars, Purna avatars and Amsarup avatars: Purna avatars are like Rama,Krishna,Buddha and so on.... which will have an END!! But Amsarup avatars are like, Parashurama,Kurma,Matsya and so on... which won't have an END!! This avatars are worshiped very rare, only at ceremony's or religious functions!! Seven sages (saptarsis) are also very long-living - they must live for at least one manvantara during which they hold their posts. In future (8th manvantara) will be Galava, Diptiman, Parashurama, Asvatthama, Krpa, Rsyasrnga, Vyasadeva. (SB 8.13.15, similar to Garuda Purana 1.87.34). This is why Parashurama was in Treta, dwapara and he will be there till the end of kali yuga too!!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • There are 7 Siranjeevis as per Hindu Dharma!

1.Parasurama,

2.Hanuman

3.Aswathama

4.Dhurvasa

5.Markandeya

These five personalities have eternal living.

Hanuman found in Mahabharath period also.

Dhurvasa who gave boon to Kundi also found in many earlier instances!

Aswathama cannot be killed. Without knowing that, Aswathama “Mar Gaya” was believed by Dhrona!

Vibishna & Another Muni with hair through out the body called Roma Muni are also believed to be Siranjeevis!

Edit:

Thank you Sri Vidya Rajagopalan Sir,

What I answered was by vague hear say long back. Now I got authoritative answer for this.

Sir,

If I can get clarification on Dhronachariyar's ignorance on Aswathama's eternal living it will be useful for the Yahoo Community!

Thanks again Sir.

Edit:

Shri. Srividya Rajagopalan Sir,

I am overjoyed on your clarification. This is a doubt I raised for few years to many scholars known to me and no one could give such a great explanation.

I once again sincerely thank you Sir.

• 1 decade ago

Parashurama is the sole immortal incarnation of Lord Vishnu,and hence is considered Chiranjeevi i.e.a person who has no death. Thts the reason why Parashurama is believed to hav lived thru the centuries and different yugas.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe Parashurama lives in his Astral Body or Linga Sarira. Astral Body does not degenerate as fast as the Physical body as per Yogananda and Yukteswar Giri, and therefore he can survive many many yugas. But Parashurama was a realized soul or spirit, without any form, manifesting himself whenever and wherever he was needed.

• 1 decade ago

This is regarding my question which you deleted like a coward.

Without knowing the facts you have come to answer my question. You not only lack knowledge but posses arrogance in abaunndce as well. Advaitham is neither the highest nor is the correct interpretation of Vedas. You are in maya what can we expect from you but lies? I am not spoiling anything here. It is you who is spoiling with your bogus principles and misguiding others. You are a typical mayavadi muda. If you don’t know about Sri Ramanuja try to learn from others or keep shut. Don’t pretend that you know everything.

• 1 decade ago

He is one of the 7+ chiranjivis/eternally living.

• 1 decade ago

Parshuram was also incarnation of god, so he might have lived that long

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.