Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why Gandhi was never considered for Nobel peace prize?

• Favorite Answer

Nobel Price has a clarification on their website that why Gandhi was not awarded with Nobel.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/articles/...

However, I think with all the logic Nehru was more deserving candidate for Nobel for Pancha Sila. Thought it was a failed policy due to Chinese aggression, but according to Nobel, Nobel award is not given for achievements but for initiatives. And what better initiative for peace can a country take?

• Lisa

There are somethings I believe that Obama said he would do since his Democratic campaign, the Nobel Peace Prize should go to someone who is fighting for better rights for those who have no platform to began with. This award is a result of what people in other countries call "Bush Era." Just the mere thought of the president of America changing the tactics of welcoming other countries has given Obama the Nobel prize. The committee basis their decision on the fact of what he might do while in office. Gandhi should have won, but at this point, the more popular pick is President Obama.

London Times said this about Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize.

<<Rarely has an award had such an obvious political and partisan intent. It was clearly seen by the Norwegian Nobel committee as a way of expressing European gratitude for an end to the Bush Administration, approval for the election of America’s first black president and hope that Washington will honour its promise to re-engage with the world.

Instead, the prize risks looking preposterous in its claims, patronising in its intentions and demeaning in its attempt to build up a man who has barely begun his period in office, let alone achieved any tangible outcome for peace.>>

Bottom line: this action is less the awarding of a prize than a kick in the teeth aimed at traditional American power and prestige.

Deleted Answer: This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009. To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace. But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone. This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better. So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come. Thank you, President Barack Obama

• We Indians think that Gandhi ji was beyond personal scrutiny by Nobel Committee . A prize given to Henry Kissinger and the like lessens the stature of Gadhiji . If given Gandhiji would have rejected it.

The "Nobel Peace" prize has been made into a mockery. It's all based in ideology, not actual efforts or accomplishments towards peace. I mean come on, Yasser Afarat got the prize!? Who's next? Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? Hugo Chavez? Kim Jong-il? Khaled Meshal?

What a joke it has become. It's really a damn shame.

He never really gave America bashing a proper go.

If that would have failed he could have always tried terrorism; it sure worked for Yassar Arafat.

The Nobel is now a worthless joke. Not winning this farce actually strengthens Ghandi's peace cred.

Nobel prize does not deserve Gandhi. Gandhi is way too bigger for a nobel prize.

• I agree with you, in hindsight, it was a good that he was not awarded as in current world, Gandhi represent 'peaceful change', 'claim your rights via peaceful change'.

considering this years recepient,this question does not arise.Gandhiji might have been considered during his lifetime, but till independence he was at loggerheads with the powerful govt of that time, so he could not have been nominated. or he may not have been projected appropriately. any how He remains tallest among allother winners, His glory and his life is testimony to this. one more thing.nobel is not the last word

The recipient of the Nobel prize should be alive..The commitee of peace prize said that Gandhi was not alive when they declared to give Him the peace prize...The Peac prize would have earned more recognition if it was given to a great person like "Mahatma" Gandhi...