Something different to do with a turkey?

Well, I do know it has to be roasted, I guess what I'm looking for is things like rubs, seasonings, or marinades that might be a bit different.

Because they were such a great deal just before thanksgiving (29 cents a pound!), we picked up two frozen turkeys. We're planning on having a little holiday dinner party, and serving one of them then, but I'm looking for something a little bit different to do with it-I don't want it to wind up like a second thanksgiving dinner, or something.

Any suggestions as to how to prepare the turkey, or side dishes that might be a little different??

(Just to note-we're in an apartment, and don't have access to a grill, or deep fryer, or any way of cooking other than a stove and oven.)

My mother in law is an excellent cook, she owns a restaurant , and when she makes a turkey before she cooks it she peels the skin back and lays strips of bacon on the breast and then replaces the skin back on with the bacon inside, this gives the turkey a really nice smoked flavor. dont forget to put lots of onions and garlic in the stuffing.

as for the side dishes, garlic mashed potatoes are nice;

to roast a few cloves of garlic (2 or 3 or as many as youd like)

1.Cut the top (pointed end) off the head of garlic.

2.Place the head of garlic on a piece of foil large enough to wrap the garlic in. Or use one of those great clay garlic roasters.

3.Drizzle olive oil over the garlic.

4.Wrap the garlic well with the foil.

5.Bake in a preheated oven at 350 (175°C) for about 40 minutes, until garlic is soft.

you can mash them and add them to your mashed potatoes with butter and cream.

yummy!

glazed baby carrots are a good side dish also here is a recipe for them;

-16 ounces baby carrots

-2 tablespoons butter

-1/3 cup brown sugar, packed

-1 cup water

-dash salt

-pepper, to taste

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, combine the baby carrots with remaining ingredients. Stir to blend ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling (uncovered) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until carrots are tender and the liquid has evaporated.

Serves 4 to 6.

heres another nice thing to do with your brocolli and cauliflauer;

Vegetable Florets with Cheddar Sauce

2 cups cauliflower florets

2 cups broccoli florets

1/3 cup water

1 tablespoon margarine or butter

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/2 cup half n' half

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained ,but i prefer 4-6 fresh mushrooms sliced

Place cauliflower, broccoli and water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain; remove vegetables from saucepan.

Melt margarine in same saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Add cream; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in mushrooms; remove from heat. Stir in cauliflower and broccoli. serves 4

and serve lots of wine...

I hope you have a great holiday dinner party!!

Easy Chicken/Turkey Tetrazzini

1 lb boneless chicken breasts or a whole chicken cut up/ or equal of turkey

1 lb spaghetti

1 small box velveeta cheese

1 can rotel tomatoes

1 can cream of chicken soup

In a large pot of boiling water seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic power and onion powder place (or use fresh garlic and onion minced) place chicken and cook gently til done (about 20 minutes)

Remove chicken from water (save water) and return water to a boil.

Add pasta and cook til aldente

Cool chicken and cut into bite size pieces

In a small pot put soup, cheese and Rotel and melt slowly together

Drain pasta and place in a large casserole dish and mix in chicken and cheese mixture. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes til bubbly and serve with some crusty bread. This freezes exceptionally well so make a double batch and freeze one without baking. When cooking later be sure to defrost before baking

I did the same thing.. stocked up on Turkey!!!!

Now.. for how to prepare.. how handy are you in the kitchen? My first bird I happened to roast yesterday... I pulled the meat off the bone, simmered the bones and made concentrated stock that will be portioned out and frozen for future soups, stews, stock and gravy.. the meat was diced, portioned and wrapped. It will be used for casseroles, turkey salad sandwiches, hot turkey sandwiches, soups, stews.. whatever whim strikes me. It's just ready to heat and eat... home made fast food!!

The next bird I will be defrosting and pulling the meat from the bone raw.

The breasts will be sliced. Some used for steaks (broiled, pan fried, or oatmeal crusted, like I do my oatmeal crusted chicken), some will be thinner sliced and used to make turkey rouladen. Thighs will be boned and split to stuff (you can stuff on the order of a cordon bleu, or with stuffing), they can even be pounded thin and rolled, baked and then sliced like pin wheels to serve.

Wings will be saved for the soup pot, drummettes and drumsticks will be roasted.

Tenderloins will be sliced into medalions amedallionsd in butter and herbs. They can also be use for delectible stir fry.

What is left on the bone that can't be pulled off easily... I'll be roasting the carcass.. then simmering it out for soup.. picking the last of the meat off the bones to go back into the soup. The soup base, just strained broth and meat, will be divided and frozen... when I want soup I'll be able to pull it out.. add vegies, and rice or pasta and have fantastic home made soup with very little effort.

Any of the meat, white or dark

** cut into cubes, or strips, and breaded for turkey nuggets or turkey fingers. Pan fried, oven baked or deep fried.

** cut into strips, think along the line of boneless pork ribs.. only turkey.... and served in BBQshredded

** shish kabob

** pulled/shreaded with BBQ sauce (like pulled pork) on sandwiches

By keeping the meat as cold as can be handled, I have had great success refreezing it after slicing.. so that I have that meat in usable portions for the other dishes... Though I've done whole day cooking sessions where the dishes were all made and then portioned and frozen for future meals.. it's a GREAT way to stock up home made meals for those nights when cooking just isn't something on the list of things to do!!!

Happy turkey cooking!!!!

You could defrost it and remove the breast meat from the bone and just cook it like any other poultry, by baking it, frying or even making soup or stew. If you cut up the turkey like you would a chicken you can even bake the legs, wings, back and breasts. Serve with any thing, like rice, noodles, beans, veggies and of course a tossed salad. think of it as a giant chicken, that should help. ;)

Try a turkey chili using diced breast meat or a combo of white and dark meat.

• Alice

It's because there is no Y!A in the Turkish language only. As others have said, the Lebanon section is just the same. My contacts star a bunch of q's form there all the time that aren't travel related.

You will have to roast it like any other. Use it to make soups, casseroles, and sandwiches. You don't have to serve any of the traditional thanksgiving dishes with it. mm

Find a BBQ joint and have them smoke it for you. Serve with BBQ beans,Cole Slaw,Potato Salad, Red Beans and Rice, Fries, Ice cold beer and an apple or cherry cobbler. And who says it has to be roasted.

cook the turkey the same. just have different side dishes.

Turkey sandwich.

Have you ever brined a turkey? They are more moist and flavorful when brined.

http://southerncuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/ho...