Jehovah's Witnesses: Is the New World Translation really the MOST accurate English bible translation?
In a recent question, one answerer claimed without reservation that the New World Translation (NWT) was the most accurate bible translation.
Now - I'm willing to concede Anglocentrism, and suppose that the writer of this claim was not thinking at all about foreign language bibles.
However, here is my question - in two parts.
1) Do you believe that the NWT is more accurate than any other English translation?
2) If so, WHY do you believe that the NWT is more accurate than **any other** English translation? That is, what evidence do you have supporting that the NWT is more accurate than all other English translations? I'm not talking about 8 other English translations of questionable repute - I'm talking about all of them.
I have some concluding questions as well:
3) Is it *right* to claim that the NWT is the most accurate English translation unless someone has evaluated the accuracy of the *entire* text of the NWT with the *entire* text of every single other English translation?
4) Has anyone at all evaluated the accuracy of the entire text of the NWT and compared it to an evaluation of the accuracy of the entire text of any other bible?
Maybe I'm wrong to let this "get my back up" so to speak - I guess it's because I'm trained as a scientist. When a claim is made, the claim should accurately reflect the meaning intended. The NWT with References has some very good features - I do not mean to discredit the NWT one iota. However, I have no faith in a claim such as this when it seems as if there is literally no evidence whatsoever to support the claim as stated.
I sincerely mean no offense!
I know of BeDuhn & "Truth in Translation". I have not read it, but I have read carefully the conclusion and how it was reached.
1) It compares only 9 bibles. There are literally dozens of English bibles in print. At best, DeBuhn could only support the claim that the NWT is more accurate than 8 other particular English bibles. Only 8.
2) It analyzes accuracy by comparing only particular New Testament verses that, in BeDuhn's opinion, are frequently poorly translated. In other words, it does not evaluate the accuracy of the entire NWT and compare that to an evaluation of any other entire bible. At best, DeBuhn could only support the claim that the NWT is more accurate than 8 other particular English bibles when comparing a very specific selection of verses.
BTW - it so happens that these are the sort of features that I find attractive in the NWT. But even the NJB - which I favor - I can say no more than, "In my opinion, it is the best English translation available today".
About bible words