Media Pass virus won't let my comp start up in ANY mode! Any way around this?

Hey guys, any way you can help me with a virus issue? It's looking a little dismal. Please bear with me; it's a little lengthy. Here's some background info if you need it: Last night I was surfing the web on my PC (I have Windows XP), and a familiar-looking antivirus-related alert popped up in... show more Hey guys, any way you can help me with a virus issue? It's looking a little dismal.

Please bear with me; it's a little lengthy.

Here's some background info if you need it: Last night I was surfing the web on my PC (I have Windows XP), and a familiar-looking antivirus-related alert popped up in the bottom right of the screen. I'm so used to clicking on them to exit out or to read more about the alert, that that's what I did, pretty absent-mindedly. It calls itself Media Pass, and it just started downloading something immediately, and I couldn't delete it through Task Manager fast enough (if that would've helped). All these pop-ups that were trying to mimic my system's appeared, and I soon couldn't even access my Task Manager, because it was "disabled by the administrator" (it wasn't, in actuality). I've had a virus before, and I'd gotten rid of it successfully by downloading and running a program to get rid of the virus.

So I'd figured there was a removal program for this one. I'd downloaded a Removal Tool from Security Stronghold, which seemed legit (I guess it wasn't, as I'm now reading it's a scam). After paying them to run the tool (*facepalm*), I seemed to get my Task Manager back, but then my desktop screen turned green with a black and red sign saying "YOUR SYSTEM IS INFECTED!" or something. After emailing Security Stronghold about the problem, my computer just restarted on its own. I freaked out and just shut it down. But now that I'm going to give it another try and to fix it manually, I can't seem to get it past the boot-up phase. There's the black screen giving me options, such as Safe Mode (tried), Safe Mode with Networking (will NOT try), some other thing, last known configurations when computer was fine (something like that; tried), and Normal mode (tried). The virus just keeps shutting down my computer, after each new option I choose! Now how in the world am I going to fix this?!

I'm waiting for a Lenovo laptop I'd ordered on Black Friday, but unfortunately my desktop has several architectural drafting and rendering programs on it (very expensive and hard to come by, as I got them from people I knew at the time in school). I was going to finally put all my programs on the laptop (the shipment of which was late by 2 weeks, of course....). I'm absolutely livid now.

Hopefully my questions aren't too silly; I wish I had the mind to understand computer problems of this nature...

1. How do I get around this eternal loop of my computer restarting and shutting down? Anything I can do manually during that phase?
2. Is anyone familiar with this virus?
3. Who, as a professional/techie, do I refer this problem to? Is it your average computer repairperson? Someone at Geek Squad? Any group on the internet you know of, that deals mainly with viruses? Does a group like that even exist? My roommate seems to know everything about everything, yet he says he knows nothing about viruses
4. If I can get my computer up and running, and I'm NOT successful at removing the virus, can i still move my architectural programs to the laptop I'm expecting? Is it CERTAIN that those programs are infected? Any way to find out for sure, if there is the possibility of using those programs again?

Please help if you can...
Thank you!