My wife has died. Our daughter may have a will but will not let me see it.How do I solve this problem.?

The estate is too small to need probate. So it seems impossible to find out if I have been left any mementos

No estate is too small for probate. Either you have a will or you die intestate which requires probate. It doesn't matter if your daughter has the will. It must have been filed properly to be valid. Otherwise the state will distribute anything remaining after all the bills have been paid.

Usually when the wife die the serving spouse get everything. If so in your area then they would have to produce a wife for probate.

If you were legally married, realize that most states have "community property" laws. If her daughter won't show you the will, don't allow her to take anything. Get some legal counsel and if you can't afford an attorney, go to legal aid. They should be able to give you some directions. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Joy

First, you have my sympathies for your loss.

Second, double-check any advice you get here with a lawyer, esp. if you live in the state of Louisiana.

Third, generally speaking, if a married person dies without a will the surviving spouse gets everything.