Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Do you think Haiti should be leveled and the survivors of the quake relocated to other countries?

Massive earthquakes have always happened in rich countries like Russia, China, Turkey and Iran. They were able to rebuild because they could absorb the cost. But Haiti is the poorest country in the world sxcept for Zimbabwe and Burundi. How can they even think about rebuilding the country when it was devastated with desperate poverty before the earthquake?

• C W

No, I think that it should be rebuilt. While the situation is dire, it is not unheard of for a country to be able to rebuild and become even more powerful than it was before. Think about Japan around the end of WWII. Strapped by war, economy run into the ground, Hiroshima, Nagasaki ... There was a time when anything made in Japan was seen as being junk. Japan is earthquake prone, there aren't many natural resources, but within 50 years, they were able to become one of the most powerful countries in the world. I still have hope for Haiti.

I think that one of the things that can be done in Haiti, is to have all of their debt forgiven or at least a more significant portion of the 1.8 billion than the 500 million that is currently on the table. That way the country can start with a clean slate. There are many parts of the country that can be salvaged. What I would really like to see is to have the people of Haiti - not only the people there, but the people off-island be able to come to concensus about the rebuilding process along with other countries. The Dominican Republic, which has the other 2/3 of the island is not as mired in poverty - there's got to be something that can be learned there. Additionally, I would love to see Haiti use what it does have. The key I think is looking at how to get people working to rebuild and also finding some other way to generate revenue in the economy than the agriculture sector. With over 80 percent of the people in poverty and almost 50 percent of the population being so young (18 years or younger), this is no easy task. Taking some of the money and pouring it into education - to create a skilled labor force, I think would help a lot. If they can use some of the foreign aid to build buildings and roads that are to code - they can train haitians to work these jobs and start lifting them out of poverty. Then, with proper leadership, they can look for ways to get money coming into their economy instead of having to rely on foreign aid.

And for the record, I think that KungFu Panda's response makes no sense. Obviously, the reason that they had poorly built buildings and roads to begin with is because they don't have the money to purchase the materials to build better ones.

• Erika

i % to understand your theory and each thing yet I do in basic terms not understand why human beings can't in basic terms settle for the reality that that's what that's. An earthquake killed harmless human beings in Haiti yet human beings blow up something so unhappy right into a conspiracy, that quite loses understand for me. no rely if or not the earthquake became deliberate by utilising "earthquake generated weapons" or not, the concentration would desire to be on the human beings that are injured and % help. through fact what's actuality, is that human beings % help over there. And attempting again up with some conspiracy theory will not help absolutely everyone.

I had similar feeling about the future of Haiti, It;s a pitty that such a massive earthquake came their way, and I would like to express my sympathy for the deceased, victims and the country as a whole. I was wondering whether countries like the US, Canada would reach concensus with permanently hosting all Haitians as this disaster has hit hard in their fragile economy.

It looks like the island is very vulnerable to earthquakes and I think it would be a good idea if the Haitians and potential host nations can reach mutual consensus in relocating all of them permanently to ther countries

How do you relocate a population of twelve to fifteen million people? The cost to aid and rebuild will be Billions true,but in time,it may help to finally get the country on it's feet.

• Ingrid

Perhaps that is a part of the World where People should not be living. Haiti gets hit by all sorts of

natural disasters periodically. and never can recover well.

I think the survivors should be sterilized. They keep making kids by the busload, even though their country is starving and dirt poor. NEWS FLASH: America is trillions in debt....nobody is bailing us out.

• Maybe with all the aid we're sending they'd be better off then when they were before it.

no,leave them there.its no ones fault but there own when they have no building codes that exist.until they have building codes that can survive earthquakes they will be doomed to repeat the same mistakes again

It's their homeland. They're not chess pieces that will move where we wish.