Why is Hinduism called Sanatan Dharma ?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
The real name of Hinduism is Sanatan Dharma, the eternal religion. The word hinduism is given by other people due to hindus living beyond the river Sindhu, hence called hindus Why ...show more
Update : Tender Coconut : you wrote -it is mr shivam's new avatar ...show more
Update 2: Radhakrishnan ji : Sanatan does not mean old. Sanatan means that remains ...show more
Update 3: TC: wow ! (my cheeks red with shame). I dont deserve this. But i am ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
सनातन sanaatana forever
सनातन sanaatana permanent
सनातन sanaatana adj. unending
सनातन sanaatana adj. everlasting
सनातन sanaatana adj. eternal
सनातन sanaatana adj. ancient

Very simple. Hinduism is not a religion. It is a way of life! Anybody can follow its principles (Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha way of life).

(i) Believe on the God Head (Para brahmam) and live a pious life.

(ii) 'Paropakarartham Idam Sareeram' (This body is meant to serve others). This is the main moto in Sanadana Dharma.

(iii) 'Dharmo Rakshati Rakshitaha' (Protect Vedic Dharma and it will protect you).

(iv) Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam, meaning:

वसुधा, vasudhaa ( f.) means Earth.

'Vasudha' refers to the Earth or to the entire Creation, meaning the vast cosmos. 'Eva' means “certainly” or “verily.” 'Kutumbam' means a family or blood relations, and kutumbakam technically means a little family. So here the Vedic sages are saying that the entire world is truly just one family. The world is like a small, tightly knit, nuclear family.

Thus one can see the Sanatana Dharma provides the global vision and a structured approach that is universally applicable. Thus the followers of Sanatana Dharma need to work together for the common cause of bringing peace and harmony at all levels.

Edited:

Congratulations! Achievements are milestones and the goal is far ahead!!

Source:

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
THANKS ALL OF YOU
  • Comment

Other Answers (6)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • swami nalayak answered 4 years ago
    There is one religion, Sanathan Dharma,
    • Comment
  • Radhakrishna( prrkrishna) answered 4 years ago
    Dear Friend,

Do you think ETERNAL is a correct translation for ?'' Sanatana.''?

I feel that Sanaatana means whose origin is very old , rather very very old that we can not trace.

So Hinduism is a Sanatana Dharma .Dharm is THE WAY OF LIVING.

More over I do not think hinduism is the name of the Religion.It is so called by those who lived the other side of river Sindhu.

Almost all known religions are having a Specific Origin.The name of the Founder or the date of Origin etc.

But Santana DHARMA is BASED ON PURELY VEDAS.

VEDAS are said to be APOURUSHEYYAAS...that is no one wrote them or dictated them.

The Maharshis have heard it in their deep Dhyaanam.

VEDAS contain wisdom , by knowing which or by understanding which there NOTHING ELSE LEFT TO KNOW.

Sri Rama in Treytaa Yuga, several times said in his conversation,'' Yetah Dharmah Sanatanah''.
    ( This Dharma is very very old )

Treytaa Yugam itself is very very old .Then Sri Rama telling that what HE said is '' Sanatana dharma'' , we can understand to which period it is being referred.

So I feel that Sanatana Dharma is a Dharma , a Way of living , with an Aim to realize the Ultimate,

Is rooted so long back, that we are unable to FIND OUT THE ORIGIN.

Sanatana Means that , I feel so.

Edit;

Dear Shivam ,
    Sanatana means eternal too.That remains for ever.
    But I think that is not the only one meaning for the word.
    You can see in Vishnu Sahasra naamams, 896 &897 SANAATH and SANAATANA TAMAHH.

Sanath is commented by many to mean that 1.who remains Eternally.2.That one who does not under go any Vikaaraas or changes 3. Onethat EXISTS from time not known, one that the oldest in the oldest.

The Rigveda Mantraas ;
    '' Sanaath yuvaanamanasey havaamahey''

'' Sanaadeva sahasey jaata ugrah.''

'' Aa yo mahah shuurah Sanaadaneedah.''

HERE'' Sanat.'' is used to mean that there no one EARLIER TO HIM.

Next Naamam Sanatana tamah is commented to mean that HE IS OLDER THAN BRAHMA aadi Maharshis.

It is also meant that he is sanatana to those called sanatanas...meaning that He is at the beginning to where we can`t take our mind.His roots is not known.

I am referring from a Standard commentary for the benefit of all, not to establish my point friend.

As you well know a word in Sanskrit sometimes has more than 20 meanings.Here Eternal and Most ancient are Apt in my opinion.
    Sri Vidya rajagopalji has given some meanings to the word Sanaatana .In those we can see Ancient and Eternal both covered.
    In fact our Sanatana Dharma , I some hoe do not call it Hinduism persoonally, will be there eternally.It was there , it is here there and every ehere , and it will be there always.
    That is the strength of the Vedas ...That is the Strngth of Rushi Vachanams..That is the Strength of the Followers of Sanatana Dharma.
    Thank you.
    • Comment
  • prarthana answered 4 years ago
    it is mr shivam's new avatar 'sanatana dharma'. indira is india, india is indira. similarly shivam is sanatana dharma, sanatana dharma is shivam.

The real name of hinduism is sanatan dharma, the eternal religion. The word hinduism is given by other people due to hindus living beyond the river sindhu. Hence called hindus.

so, we can soon expect '' hinduism '' replace '' sanatana dharma ''. right sir ?

i can expect best answer award from you because our first god ganesh got the fruit from shiva for rounding him saying shivam is world, similarly i rounded you saying shivam is sanatana dharma.

@Asker... when a human becomes a human ? if a man taking a critisism and changing into positive and acting sportively without any anger, harsh words, unwanted comments etc., i really namaskar you. you are really a man for worship. Nothing wrong, i did not say you a god, but a man having good natures should be treated equal to God. i am really thank you for your good reaction. Besides the above, your response !! no words from me. No anger, no comments, no harsh words even after seeing my answer, saying good words...sir, you are great. thanks.

Source(s):

what i understand i answered.
    • Comment
  • S A Ayala answered 4 years ago
    Dear friend
    You have mentioned that The real name of Hinduism is Sanatan Dharma, the eternal religion. The word hinduism is given by other people due to hindus living beyond the river Sindhu, hence called hindus

You have aleady given more than half of the answer in just two lines

As you have aptly mentioned hindu is the word given by other people to those who lived beyond sindhu river, but I would like to add a point here , this hindu word is applicable only those who followed sanatan dharma , exempting explicitely those who donot follow like Christians, muslims etc but add those who follow the sanathandharma like Jainism and Sikhism are included

“””Etymologically, "Hindu" is simply the Persian form of "Sindhu", meaning generally "river" and specifically "the Indus river", hence meaning "one who lives in (or, by extension, beyond) the Indus river", "an Indian”””

Your first sentence The real name of Hinduism is Sanatan Dharma, the eternal religion
    And your question Why is hinduism, the eternal religion (Sanatan Dharma)???

I differ with your opinion ., hinduism is not a religion , it is only a dharma ., an eternal way to be performed on regular basis ,
    nowhere in bhagavatgita Hinduism was mentioned as a religion

Sanathana dharma
    Sanatana means that which cannot be destroyed by fire, water, air, weapons and is present in all living and non living being. The nearest apt English word for Sanatana is ‘Eternal.’ And dharma is duty, responsibility of an individual or code of life or law. so, Sanathana Dharma means the ‘Eternal Law.

Sanathana dharma is based on four fold goal

Dharma following dharma, the natural law ,
    Artha., money earned in a right way
    Kaama desire in the right way /approved way
    Moksha unperturbed joy and peace

The concept and practice of social justices is very much important part of Sanatana Dharma

Sanatana Dharma is by its very essence a term that is devoid of sectarian leanings or ideological divisions. This is evident by the very term itself. The two words, "Sanatana Dharma", come from the ancient Sanskrit language. "Sanatana" is a Sanskrit word that denotes that which which is Anadi (beginningless), Anantha (endless) and does not cease to be, that which is eternal and everlasting. With its rich connotations, Dharma is not translatable to any other language. Dharma is from dhri, meaning to hold together, to sustain. Its approximate meaning is "Natural Law," or those principles of reality which are inherent in the very nature and design of the universe. Thus the term Sanatana Dharma can be roughly translated to mean "the natural, ancient and eternal way."

The Sanatana Dharma through its Veda and Vedic literature empower us to aspire, seek and achieve the highest level of knowledge. It provides not only the vision and mission but also the structured approach through its various paths.
    • Comment
  • Wiki not helping?

It's obviously should be from scripture.

It ultimiately refers to the religion that was finalized as according to quran 5:3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San%C4%81ta...

Manu Smriti (4-138) goes on to declare:

Satyam bruyatpriyam bruyanna bruyatsatyamapriyam.
    Priyam cha nanrtam bruyadesa dharmah sanatanah.

The Bhagavata Purana reads:

"At the end of each cycle of four yugas, the rishis, through their asceticism, saw the collections of srutis swallowed up by time, after which the eternal (Sanatanah) dharma (was re-established)."
    • Comment
  • borhan answered 4 years ago
    cz it make nature the God .when people was in stone age they use to pray to fire to sun to weather thats how hinduism born

It is has a different definition than religion.

Religion is which has holy book given by God and send by prophet like abrahamic order religion like Jews,christen,islam
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock