WHY fashion shows are held when nobody wears such clothes in real world?

I have seen some of the designs in movies but only few of them are wearable. I mean who in this world wear transparent clothes and stupid head-gears designed with fruits,wires etc.? that's why I wanna know why such shows are held, may be there is something abt them that I don't know.....please answer, I am really curious to know this.

@karan : I really liked ur last line.

Well for a start, serious fashion is like an art. We have galleries full of paintings that normal people could never buy, but love to look at. Also, its the clothes from those shows that dictate what all the shops sell. Say there is a hat with fruit all over it, well maybe a high street store will end up with a hat decorated with a fruit pattern. Its not as extreme as the runway version, but that's where its inspiration come from. You want to know whats in fashion next season, you look on the runway and scale down the trends show there. x

AJ is right, High fashion is an art form, really it's no different than an established painter displaying and selling expensive paintings in a gallery. The designers display their art for the runway shows, which are the extravagant clothes that show off the designers talent and creativity, and those flashy avant garde designs are also what dictate what sells in the shops. For example, Alexander McQueen (who was one of the most "out there" designers in the fashion industry) awhile back used a lot of hounds tooth print in one of his runway shows and sure enough hounds tooth became one of the big trends of the season after that show.

Most designers also make "toned down" versions of these designs or based around the basic concept of them for more affordable retail outlets or for people to buy through their own company. Because some people love and are so inspired by the designers creative runway work, that they just want to own anything that they can afford that's created by that designer. So they will go and buy a more practical handbag or a pair of shoes from the designer.

Once again it's like a painter, someone might not be able to afford the actual paintings themselves, but they will go and buy a less expensive print from the artist instead.

The fashion industry can be confusing but hopefully that cleared things up a little

Source(s): I'm an artist who is into fashion as well.
  • vescio

Transparent Clothes Fashion Show

I think many designers create outfits based on trends, their preferred colour choices, and their own likes/dislikes. Some designers have crazy imaginations (like Alexander McQueen), but there are fashion shows that are held that include pret-a-porter clothes (meaning clothes that can be worn by common people in the real world).

Basically, those outfits are just to show the public how much imagination and creativity a desginer possesses, as well as explicitly (or subtly) highlight upcoming trends.

hope that helped :D

Every now and then ridiculous (and very rich!) people like Lady Ga Ga will show up and actually want to wear the clothing, but most of those weird designs are more art pieces and people (again very rich people) will collect them, Although the main reason for it is that a few pieces in designers collections will be weird and crazy as to bring attention to the label, it cant be easy standing out in normal clothes for designers, so they make crazy ones as exhibition pieces that are seen as highlights from the show.

Hope that answers your question.

that is the reason i never waste my time watching those stuff but i had an idea of becoming a fashion designer but seeing those made me realise that everything possible has already been done and that's why ppl design such impossible stuff now i'm hoping to be an interior or jewel designer...lets see!

Well the fashion world is indeed very confusing. It is a place for people to create the craziest ideas while keeping it couture. I surely don't understand it, but I do know that when people create crazy designs that are completely unwearable, it inspires others to use parts of that design to create functional clothing like we find in our stores. Its confusing, but it is all connected.

I know most people dont understand Haute Couture [the name of that type of fashion] but its not meant to be wearable, its meant to push the boundaries of design&the mind, creating pieces of art

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201004...

• jeanne

That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing myself

all the people attached to the shows have a lot of money and they need sumthing to time pass..you know they are not good f****** like us..so they find it more suitable to sit and see models passing by

and also it is same as what we studied in school is hardly used in real life..