Why do people think that religion and evolution are mutually exclusive?

Seriously though. My beliefs aside, why do people (such as many Christians) think that believing in evolution must make you an atheist?

Favorite Answer

Screwed thinking is the churches answer to them!!

The Pope, Catholic Church, Church of England and mainstream churches all accept the big bang and evolution!!

Lord Carey the former Archbishop of Canterbury put it rather well – “Creationism is the fruit of a fundamentalist approach to scripture, ignoring scholarship and critical learning, and confusing different understandings of truth”!!

• Mark S

I do not hink it makes you an atheist but it does lean you in that direction. The idea that evolution espouses say that we have moved from chaos to organization. When, in fact, this not only is erroneous but goes against all scientific knowledge that we now have. Science has shown that organization comes first and then, over time, chaos.

All things that are created,begin as organized organisms. Over time, through change, these organisms become more chaotic. We do NOT ever see things coming from nothing- simple law of biogenesis. According to what we know now, something CANNOT come from nothing, at least by scientific means. If something is organized, then we can infer an organizer. And that organizer can change what ever he/she wants to make something come from nothing. So there we have the simplest explanation for "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..."

Most of those who argue against the fact of evolution have been LIED to about what it is and how much evidence there is that clearly shows it happens. Garbage in, garbage out. Even if they admit the evidence IS there, some must deny it because their worldview depends on every detail of the Bible being literally true the way their pastor tells them to interpret the Bible. Man hands on misery to man. In turn, if those pastors rely on so-called Christian creationist web sites such as Answers in Genesis or the Institute for Creation Research, those pastors are being fed misquotes, distortions of evidence, and out and out LIES about evolution. Do those web sites really think they are honoring Christ by spewing falsehoods in His name?

All they are saying you don't believe as I do. Everything is controlled by the word faith. Two quotes that make sense

As long as every question is answered by the word "God," scientific inquiry is simply impossible.

-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "The Gods" (1872)

The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on nothing; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing and admits of no conclusion.

-- Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason (1793-5), quoted from Jonathon Green, The Cassell Dictionary of Cynical Quotations

Source(s): "Faith" means the will to avoid knowing what is true. -- Friedrieh Wilhelm Nietzsche, The Antichrist

The only ones who really think that are the ultra "ok to kill if you think god wants you to" fundies who take a 100% literal view of bible even though it is a basic 100% true fact that bible is a collection of writings from many different people with many different viewpoints and different interpretations of same stories.

The wackadoo Creation Museum guy even said it.."Why should I have to obey what it says here on this page if over here this part isn't true" when he was talking about fundie belief in bible.

To them they LITERALLY think there is no valid authority to the lessons of don't kill, don't steal, honor mother+father, be good to one another, etc if it turns out that Jonah did NOT get swallowed by a great fish, if water did NOT turn to blood

They think unless every story is 100% literal truth then the moral lessons have no valid authority

Which is kinda insane and a little evil....I mean you need God to have destroyed towns in fire and flooded world and all these crazy things in order to accept that we should be good to one another, shouldn't steal, shouldn't kill, shouldn't lie, etc

So to them since Evoltion does NOT fit with a literal reading (of course they ignore that there are multiple translations of bible and multiple editions for each translation) it makes it 100% incompatible with THEIR religious views which they see as the ONLY views that can be described as "religious"

Any other view they see as atheists trying to disguse themselves as christains.

For the record I have a God, and I accept Evolution not only because i think God respects me trying to believe in the truth as best I can make of it as opposed to blind faith and willful ignorance of truth

but because it makes me feel better!

I would rather God, the ultimate craftsman, to have crafted life as we know it slowly taking the time needed (since it has all eternity God would have no rush) to lovely crafts life to it's whim while also allowing as a mechanism for life to adapt to an ever changing world.

I mean the world is always changing...so it makes me feel better to think God put in this safety valve that lets us adapt to the changes instead of being static, unchanging beings that eventually would not fit the Earth

that and I prefer being the result of crafting rather than a magic trick poof'd out of dirt

It is like a feast roasted over hours to prepare as opposed to same just nuked up in 10 mins

which woudl you prefer...I would prefer the slow roast to nuke

Evolution makes gods unnecessary, invalidates the creation myths of all religions that have one, and points to a cruel and sadistic god if one exists.

Consider horrific parasites ( http://www.neatorama.com/2006/08/21/six-horrifying... ), carnivorous plants that trap insects and small animals and devour them, the fact that 99%+ of all species are extinct, and that mutation, the same mechanism that enables evolution, also results in horribly deformed babies.

God and DNA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfIop5ZOsY

Youtube thumbnail

• J

Ignorance

Source(s): Observation; experience
  • huffyb

Not all Christians reject evolution--in fact the largest denomination of Christians (Roman Catholics) have accepted evolution--as have most Christians---it's only the outspoken loud mouthed fundies who maintain denial of evolution.

• Jay Z

They are not mutually exclusive. Evolution is a religion. It takes more faith to believe in it than a Creator God.

Religions will need some major updating, rewriting in order to get up to speed with modernity.