flint asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 decade ago

why does turning 23 make me seem so old?

i just turned 23 recently, and i feel SO MUCH OLDER then i did when i was 22.

i feel like i cannot blame my immaturity's on my age anymore.

why is this??

• radish

Well that's progress of a sort .... in spite of yourself you are gaining insight and maturity ....so congratulations, some people never grow up but here you are on the verge of a great new era in your life.

If you want to read up on the issue of the ages at which we gain emotional maturity, the introduction to this article gives a useful overview of the literature:

http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journals/JHE/JHE-1...

The article covers the literature on this range of changes that occur with adulthood:

"According to Dunn (2003), components of emotional intelligence which can be regarded as key to success in life are as follows:

• Self-awareness and self-honesty

• Knowledge about causes of emotions

• Self-regulation and modulation of one’s emotions

• Empathy

• Motivation and good decision-making

• Ability to analyze and understand relationships

• Intuitiveness

• Creative and flexible thinking

• Integrated self

• Balanced life"

.. ... and looks at gender differences in achieving these skills

• Kris

Oh gosh I am turning 23 soon too, your not old! I felt old when I was 22 and went back to my college town and everybody was younger. But really I think most people think that it is still ok in your 20s to be a bit immature, independent, and sometimes a little selfish so don't worry.

23 is definitely not old! Not even kind of old. You ae still a young person, just enjoy it because your youth will be gone so soon it will amaze you. Just be normal and all the rest life will take care of itself if you will only focus on doing the right things.

Source(s): 72 winters on y back

well by the age of 23 i would feel very old too. Im 18 and feel old.