can you be a nurse with tattoos?

i am going to start nursing school soon, but i want to get all tatted up. does anyone know if this is acceptable in the nursing profession??

please dont say "tattoos arent professional" only answer if you know specifically

3 Answers

Relevance
  • redhed
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

In all honesty, I think it may hinder you in getting a job.

Whether we like it or not we are judged by our appearance. And after serving in the medical field over 20 years, 5 of them as an office manager who interviewed, hired and trained applicants, I can tell you that it might decrease your change of getting a job. If you had tattoos somewhere not visible when in uniform it wouldn't matter. However, if people can see them it really could hurt your chances.

Remember that the medical field tends to be more conservative than most industries. And remember that our general population, the baby boomers, who will make up a big bulk of your patients are continuing to age and most of them don't care for a lot of tattoos. So even if your potential employer is okay with tattoos, if their patients don't like them, it could hurt your chances because the patient comes first.

Source(s): Over 20 years in the medical field. Served five years as a medical office manager.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. You can be a nurse with tattoos. Do yourself a favor and don't get anything offensive and start off with tattoos you can cover up easily.

• 1 decade ago

Just don't be ultra-conspicuous, like with stupid facial or neck tattoos. Stick to areas you can cover, torso, legs, arms (long sleeves under scrubs or scrub jackets).

Source(s): RN
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.