:D asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 10 years ago

Interesting facts about your lungs?

i'm doing a poster for science on your lungs, and i have like 5 pictures i got off of google, but i was gonna put some interesting facts about the lungs on it too. all i could find was that your lungs are like the only organs that float? is that true? and can you please give me some more facts and where you got them

thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • xo379
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best answer

We lose half a liter of water every day through breathing

The breathing rate is faster in children and women than it is in men

The surface area of the lungs is roughly the same size as a tennis court

The highest recorded "sneeze speed" is 99 miles per hour

At rest, a person breathes about 14 to 16 times per minute. After exercise it could increase to over 60 times per minute.

Every day, you breathe in about 40 billion trillion molecules of oxygen

• 10 years ago

Yes it seems true that the lungs are the only organs which are able to float...

Here are some I found:

1.) The total amount of air in the respiratory system is about 4 litres in a smaller adult, up to 6 litres in a larger adult.

2.) About 1 litre of air always stays in the lungs, no matter how hard we breathe out.

3.) In an average lifetime a person takes around half a billion breaths.

4.) On average, the inside of the nose makes about enough mucus every day to fill two egg-cups.

5.) If all the different-sized air tubes in the lungs could be joined end to end they would stretch more than 50 km.

6.) In both lungs of an adult there are about 300 million alveoli.

The website I found these facts on is http://health.learninginfo.org/lungs-facts.htm

Source(s): am doing work on this atm
  • 3 years ago

Facts About The Lungs

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Interesting facts about your lungs?

i'm doing a poster for science on your lungs, and i have like 5 pictures i got off of google, but i was gonna put some interesting facts about the lungs on it too. all i could find was that your lungs are like the only organs that float? is that true? and can you please give me some more facts...

Source(s): interesting facts lungs: https://tr.im/5vVht
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

if you exercise you can increase the efficiency of your lungs as blood capillaries (little veins and arteries) extend, meaning more blood passes through your lungs more quickly, meaning oxygen uptake is enhance.

training also causes the alveoli (air sacks) to become rounder, increasing surface area and helping Gas diffusion

phlegm is the way lungs clean themselves out, it traps dust and is then shimmied up the throat until you need to cough :)

the lungs have their own part of the heart, the right side of your heart is for sending blood to your lungs, this is so blood can be oxygenated before being pumped by the left ventricle around the body.

you can never fully geet rid of all the air in your lungs, there is always some air in there to stop the alveolar walls (air sack walls) from touching and getting stuck to each other

most adults have a lung capacity of about six litres!!

if all the air tubes and sacks in the lungs were connected in a line they would excede 50km

i hope this helps :)

Source(s): A2 level sports studies
  • 4 years ago

Even though Reykjavik,Iceland is only 200 miles south of the Arctic Circle, it has never recorded a temperature below 14 degrees fahrenheit.That's because the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic modifies the climate in Iceland. Antarctica is considered a desert! Even though it's brutally cold, it receives little precip. in a year. You can actually snow ski in Hawaii in the winter on top of Mt. Halekalala(spelling?) The world's hottest temp. ever recorded was 136 in LIbya, the second highest was 134 in Death Valley,CA. Both of those occurrerd about 80 years ago. Nina Hartley, a beautiful and famous adult film star, graduated top honors from UC Berkeley in 1984 before her film career. The Atacama Desert in South America is the world's driest place even though it's along the Pacific coast.It averages a few inches of rain every century! Marilyn Vos Savant, with an IQ of 228, is the world's smartest person. Despite his success and wealth, Bill Gates dropped out of college. The highest and lowest points in the continental US are only 80 miles apart-Mt.Whitnety at 14,000 feet and a point in Death Valley at -282 feet below sea level. The word sanction has two opposing meanings when used as a noun and verb.As a noun it means penalty.As a verb it means to approve. There are palm trees growing outside in southwestern British Columbia,Canada near Vancouver and Victoria. The sun is closer to the earth in winter than in summer believe it or not.Why is winter colder? Because the earth's tilt receives less sunlight in the winter. The Bristlecone pine trees in the Sierra Nevadas of CA are the world's oldest organism at 4600 years old. The Maybach 62S is the world's most expensive new car at $426,000 dollars.Even more than a Rolls Royce! Most Icelanders speak 5 or 6 languages fluently. Camarillo,CA, where I grew uo, was nominated by National Geographic in the 60's as having the world's best climate. A lot of people tend to think Hawaii, but Camarillo's weather can't be beat. In 1977, it snowed south of Miami. Bermuda has the world's northernmost coral reef. The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from the moon. A couple of weeks ago, it snowed in Baghdad for the first time, a rare tornado struck near Portland,OR and an unheard of Jan. tornado hit near Milwaukee,WI. Las Vegas means the meadows in Spanish. Today it means lost wages-lol! English became the world's international language after England won The Battle of Trafalgar against Spain and FRance for control over trade routes.That's why English is the world language of business. The Koala Bear is not a bear.I think it's a marsupial. The internet was established in 1969, but it was only used by scientists and researchers.The world wide web was founded in 1991 by a Swiss scientist. Cancer is actually considered 100 different diseases and not a single disease.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.