Do you agree to this quote on time by Meister Eckhart?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
"Time is what keeps the light from reaching us. There is no greater obstacle to God than time: and not only time but temporalities, not only temporal things but temporal ...show more
Best Answer
Blessings. I agree with him, man do not have time for any thing. the one thing Eckhart was concerned with was union with God, and that was the concern of the majority of people in his audiences. As the quotation at the very beginning of this talk revealed, he had no time for anything - not even prayer techniques - which seemed to be diverting people’s attention from this one central concern. As he says in one of his German sermons: ‘The very best and noblest attainment in this life is to be silent and let God work and speak within
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (14)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Rob P answered 4 years ago
    Time only exists in the mind of man. Ask a bird if he/she knows the time. Ask your pet dog or cat. Run to the river and ask a frog or an alligator but be careful with the alligator, he may tell you it is time for him to eat. ;-)

Time exists no where else.

Fly if you will, to Pluto or Mercury and see if time is kept there. Alpha Centaury, surely a solar system of its own would know time, yes? Float on the very edge of the universe or scamper into the garden and inquire a grasshopper, "is time a part of your existence?" Suffice to say that only on Earth and only when interacting with a human will time come to be.

God is not time, nor humanity alone. In fact the more we "dissect" Life itself thus separate and categorize it with such tenacity, do we find ourselves falling further and further away from the Truth of Life - God if you will.

This is what Eckhart is referring to.

Blessings
    • Comment
  • WellTraveledProg answered 4 years ago
    Agree with what? It's a bunch of supernatural mystical nonsense, devoid of any actual information.

Peace.
    • Comment
  • Like it is. answered 4 years ago
    No, because this makes God subject to time (it is an obstacle for Him). God is subject to nothing. Those who will be reached by the light, will be. For some, there is no matter of time that will save them, for the light to reach them. For others, it takes but a fraction of time.
    • Comment
  • ? answered 4 years ago
    I do not know, but I can tell ya this: I am a backslid Christian, but when I am right with God, I can get so high in the Spirit! There's nothing like it! I don't wanna eat, sleep, have sex, or do anything else 'cept worship the Lord.
    It's amazing!
    To them who believe, no explanation is needed.
    To them who don't believe, no explanation would be adequate.
    The weirdfunny thing is, God shows His Existence only to the already believer.
    Funny, ain't it?
    There is a banquet of spiritual food in the writings of holy men and women, as well as the Holy Bible, of course.
    I'm thinking of Master Eckhardt, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. John of the Cross, and many dozens more.
    • Comment
  • Brendan's The ENIGMA 1 answered 4 years ago
    Well part is correct, Basically Meister Eckhart has a point. He uses temporal affections a lot? and states one thing that is right, smell and taste are not temporal they are ingrained.

Source(s):

i like mulberry jam
    • Comment
  • Rawney answered 4 years ago
    Time is an essential part of the measuring system used to sequence events, to compare the durations of events and the intervals between them, and to quantify the motions of objects. Time has been a major subject of religion, philosophy, and science, but defining it in a non-controversial manner applicable to all fields of study has consistently eluded the greatest scholars.

Time is one of the seven fundamental physical quantities in the International System of Units. Time is used to define other quantities — such as velocity — so defining time in terms of such quantities would result in circularity of definition.[1] An operational definition of time, wherein one says that observing a certain number of repetitions of one or another standard cyclical event (such as the passage of a free-swinging pendulum) constitutes one standard unit such as the second, is highly useful in the conduct of both advanced experiments and everyday affairs of life. The operational definition leaves aside the question whether there is something called time, apart from the counting activity just mentioned, that flows and that can be measured. Investigations of a single continuum called spacetime bring questions about space into questions about time, questions that have their roots in the works of early students of natural philosophy.

Among prominent philosophers, there are two distinct viewpoints on time. One view is that time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe, a dimension in which events occur in sequence. Sir Isaac Newton subscribed to this realist view, and hence it is sometimes referred to as Newtonian time. Time travel, in this view, becomes a possibility as other "times" persist like frames of a film strip, spread out across the time line. The opposing view is that time does not refer to any kind of "container" that events and objects "move through", nor to any entity that "flows", but that it is instead part of a fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) within which humans sequence and compare events. This second view, in the tradition of Gottfried Leibniz[4] and Immanuel Kant, holds that time is neither an event nor a thing, and thus is not itself measurable nor can it be travelled.

Temporal measurement has occupied scientists and technologists, and was a prime motivation in navigation and astronomy. Periodic events and periodic motion have long served as standards for units of time. Examples include the apparent motion of the sun across the sky, the phases of the moon, the swing of a pendulum, and the beat of a heart. Currently, the international unit of time, the second, is defined in terms of radiation emitted by caesium atoms (see below). Time is also of significant social importance, having economic value ("time is money") as well as personal value, due to an awareness of the limited time in each day and in human life spans.

Ray Cummings, an early writer of science fiction, wrote in 1922, "Time… is what keeps everything from happening at once", a sentence repeated by scientists such as C. J. Overbeck,[8] and John Archibald Wheeler.

In sociology and anthropology, time discipline is the general name given to social and economic rules, conventions, customs, and expectations governing the measurement of time, the social currency and awareness of time measurements, and people's expectations concerning the observance of these customs by others.

The use of time is an important issue in understanding human behaviour, education, and travel behaviour. Time use research is a developing field of study. The question concerns how time is allocated across a number of activities (such as time spent at home, at work, shopping, etc.). Time use changes with technology, as the television or the Internet created new opportunities to use time in different ways. However, some aspects of time use are relatively stable over long periods of time, such as the amount of time spent traveling to work, which despite major changes in transport, has been observed to be about 20–30 minutes one-way for a large number of cities over a long period of time.

Time management is the organization of tasks or events by first estimating how much time a task will take to be completed, when it must be completed, and then adjusting events that would interfere with its completion so that completion is reached in the appropriate amount of time. Calendars and day planners are common examples of time management tools.

Arlie Russell Hochschild and Norbert Elias have written on the use of time from a sociological perspective
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • sylvia c answered 4 years ago
    definitely not, no meaning or wisdom in any of it.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Blackbird answered 4 years ago
    No. I really don't. I am choosing to be polite as you are a contact of mine. Sometimes i feel you ask questions, that you don't really need to ask, simply in order to show us something that you 'hope' will convert us to your way of thinking. :)
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • gaduputi answered 4 years ago
    when you control all your continuous roaming thoughts. where you have acquired no thought stage. where you got stillness in your mind, The time sense may be vanished. where the self realized people living with eternal bliss through out the life.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• phil8656 answered 4 years ago
    Meaningless. Staying in the present is irresponsible.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Nani answered 4 years ago
    Maybe I'm not getting it. It just got me thinking about some things I've read by people who were raised in Africa in areas where there are no watches or clocks. They were beautiful scenes, scenarios and memories of waking and resting and then going to sleep just by the sun. There seemed to be something spiritual about time - not an obstacle. It seems that we have made it an obstacle, an idol or at the very least, very stressful.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • sunshine answered 4 years ago
    I disagree
    God is not bound by time, yet He works on a time calendar for the intervention of mankind.
    Life for us in the flesh is temporal
    God is not flesh, nor is Jesus . They are spirit beings. Jesus once became flesh in order to redeem man back to Himself through death and resurrection. From this resurrection He made a way for us ( flesh ) to also become a spirit being, transformed as He , "Jesus". Where by we will no longer be bound by time.
    There are NO obstacles for God. All things are already set in place from the beginning of all things, and before the foundations of the world were formed.
    God's Word is the balance.......It is the SAME yesterday, today, and tomorrow. It Changes NOT
    Should we go by way of the grave, or by the Rapture, we still will see Him FACE to FACE in a glorified state as does our savior Jesus.
    God's Promise is a PROMISE and very real and present.

When we see these things.....Look Up....For your redemption Draws Neigh.
    Current Events
    This Generation Shall See Jesus Christ
    Be it as savior, or as Judge.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Haitham Emad answered 4 years ago
    I don't agree with this quote [manners keep me from swearing here] .
    • Comment
  • My name IS Denver, kthanx answered 4 years ago
    Yeah its cool.
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow