Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 9 years ago

The Planet Pluto is still alive or dead?

Update:

My 6 yrs old son asking the qs repeatedly as he learned from his school that pluto is dead. Thats why I have asked on behalf of my son. I have little knowledge about the galaxy but learning here.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Pluto is the second most massive known dwarf planet in the Solar System (after Eris) and the tenth most massive body observed directly orbiting the Sun. Originally classified as a planet, Pluto is now considered the largest member of a distinct population known as the Kuiper belt. Therefore, it is no longer a planet but is a DWARF PLANET.

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • Originally classified as a planet, Pluto is now considered the largest member of a distinct population known as the Kuiper belt.

In the late 20th and early 21st century, many objects similar to Pluto were discovered in the outer Solar System, which were comparable to or more massive than Pluto.

On August 24, 2006, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) defined what it means to be a "planet" within the Solar System .

This definition excluded Pluto as a planet and added it as a member of the new category "dwarf planet" along with Eris and Ceres. After the reclassification, Pluto was added to the list of minor planets and given the number 134340.

A number of scientists continue to hold that Pluto should be classified as a planet.

And if by dead you meant destroyed then :

No it hasn't been destroyed.

The New Horizons spacecraft is expected to arrive there around 2015.

Btw, i like your child's Questioning attitude. One should never stop till they get a desirable answer!

Source(s): If you want more details follow these links IAU DEFINITION OF A PLANET: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAU_definition_of_pla... PLUTO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto NASA SOLAR SYSTEM EXPLORATION: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Ob...
  • 9 years ago

You mean the dwarf planet Pluto? What does alive or dead mean in terms of the Solar System bodies?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Whoever is telling young students that Pluto is dead should be banned from teaching school.

Pluto is not dead. Pluto is simply no longer called a planet, it is now defined as a "dwarf planet".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It is there only but bcoz of the small size of pluto it is now not considered as a planet ok.

Source(s): my knowledge - myself
  • The living or dead status of a tiny frozen ball of ice 4 billion miles from the sun doesn't depend on whether we decide to call it it a planet or not.

• Alan
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It is still out there, it just had its description changed from Planet to Dwarf Planet

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It was never alive it is rock and ice, it has not changed much in millions of years.

And yes it is a dwarf planet.

• A P
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

No change other than we no longer regard it as a planet since there appears to be several other planetoids out there in the solar system.

• 9 years ago

its still alive hahah but its just too small to be consider to be a planet.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.