Baby started crawling today! What precautions around the house should I take?

My beautiful baby girl started crawling today rather suddenly. We've been laying her on her belly and playing with her since she was able to hold her head up but today squirming and rocking turned into crawling. She's slow going but she's going!

Sorry... I'm excited.

Moving on. We've already put plugs in the open electric plugs and the house is always extremely clean. What precautions can I take to keep her extra safe?

you need to crawl on all fours and look around. Babies love to put everything in their mouths..even lint, little pieces of paper, coins, etc. The floor must be absolutely free of little things that can choke baby. Also, corners of furnitures are a bad thing. Your baby will start pulling up in no time, and those are dangerous when they fall on corners. Cords must be out of sight, or blocked by stuff. Unstable furnitures should be out of the way - though this is not an immediate concern until your baby start pulling up.

If you have too many furnitures and knick knacks, it's time to clear them out of the room if you can.

mom of 4

• First off CONGRATULATIONS!! Super exciting when baby reaches a new milestone. What I did when baby started crawling was create a "safe" zone with baby gates in the living room that way she could crawl around and play and I wouldn't have to worry about her crawling over to the stairs. Get on your knees and look at your house from babies view to see if there are any dangers. One thing I still need to get is one of those things for the DVD player that is kinda like an outlet cover but protects tiny fingers from being pinched.

make sure she can't pull open bottom cupboards that may have detergents, medicine (could look like candy to a small child), or cleaning chemicals in them. Little kids love to put things in their mouths as you may have noticed and she could eat something poisonous. Also keep these things put away when youre not using them. there are safety locks out on the market to prevent a small child from getting into cupboards. It's probably more of a concern when she becomes a toddler, but it doesn hurt to start now.

• demmon

Wow, the very similar situation occurred to my daughter. She is 9 mths now, and purely began crawling. yet, I used a walker too, and that i helped her pull up on issues, so she has always concentrated extra on strolling. each and every time I positioned her on her abdomen, she might want to scream, so I worrying she wasnt getting sufficient tummy time. She tried first to move slowly on her hands and feet with her butt contained in the air, yet she might want to fall over and get pissed off, and this occurred for a minimum of a month and a 0.5. i presumed she may never move slowly, yet finally, about 3 days in the past, she began crawling and that i changed into very relieved. yet, she might want to nonetheless particularly walk with my tips, she's not that enthusiastic about her new-found freedom of mobility. besides, i really imagine its only an element... your son is arising purely superb at 7 mths.

awww, how exciting! my son, 6months old, is still trying to crawl, and he just scoots. its so cute. lol. but I was told to get down on my hands and knees and crawl like a baby and look for things that could harm a child

also, my sons pediatrician said her rule of thumb is if its small enough to fit through the cardboard from a roll of toilet paper, then its small enough for the baby to get choked. so keep anything thats a chiking hazzard out of the way

u did everything good the best thing to do is just make shure the foor is supper clean u know they love sticking things in there mouth but u said your house was clean so thats realy the only thing u should have to wrry about o and just make shure u dont prob things that can slide easly agianst the wall she might bump it and it end up falling on her such as a broom mop other than that your good to go u go have fun watching your little one grow bet she is precious

Alot of it is just using common sense.. don't leave small objects lying around because it will go straight into her mouth, put all dangerous item like detergents and chemicals out of reach and most important - always watch your daughter's every move because she will get more faster day by day.

• shroud

lay down on the floor and look around at the same level as your baby

look plug wires, sharp edges, small items, what in under the furniture?

paint chips, stairs up or down should be blocked

Corner protectors on your coffee table, and start mounting furniture to the wall... pulling up comes right after crawling... takes your baby half a second to pull herself up and have whatever she pulled up on fall down on her.

if u have coffee tables or end tables out in the open i would suggest puting them up until she can walk fairly well. my little boy wore a bruise on his forehead from bumping into ours one time. then we put it up and whooo. no more bruises on the forehead. other than that u should be fine. oh and breakables on bottom shelves

Source(s): mommy of one and one on the way