Why christians eat Pork, if the Bible prohibits the consumption of pork. See the verses of Bible below.?

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible

prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth

not the cud; he is unclean to you”.

“Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch,

they are unclean to you.” [Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

“And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud,

it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their

dead carcass.” [Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason,

logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types

of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm,

hookworm, etc.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I have always wondered about this too as I am of no specific Christian denomination, but I do adhere to the teachings on blood and always thoroughly wash meat before cooking it reallly well (Acts 15:28-30). You are right and the bible does contain many good pieces of advice regarding health issues like this. Temptation is that I love ham but you could be very right.

• You are a hypocrite. U just asked three other questions in which you undermined the validity of the Bible as the Word of God but now since there is something you want us to do, you are quoting from it?

I eat pork because of the following verses:

1Tim 4:1-3 The Spirit says clearly that some people will abandon the faith in later times; they will obey lying spirits and follow the teachings of demons. Such teachings are spread by deceitful liars, whose consciences are dead, as if burnt with a hot iron. Such people teach that it is wrong to marry and to eat certain foods. But God created those foods to be eaten, after a prayer of thanks, by those who are believers and have come to know the truth.

Act 10:11-16 He saw heaven open, and something came down like a huge sheet held up by its four corners. In it were all kinds of animals, snakes, and birds. A voice said to him, "Peter, get up! Kill these and eat them." But Peter said, "Lord, I can't do that! I've never eaten anything that is unclean and not fit to eat." The voice spoke to him again, "When God says that something can be used for food, don't say it isn't fit to eat." This happened three times before the sheet was suddenly taken back to heaven.

Col 2:16 So let no one make rules about what you eat or drink or about holy days or the New Moon Festival or the Sabbath.

• 9 years ago

Pigs are only as unclean as you let them be. If they're vaccinated and their living conditions meet certain standards then can be quite clean and fit for consumption.

A lot of people handwave that part of the Old Testament by saying Jesus replaced it with New Testament law, or that it only applies to priests, but it's more than likely just due to advances the science of keeping livestock, and nobody actually wants to admit that they're ignoring the Bible because they want to.

• 9 years ago

I read one of the answers about the parasites in pork rarely affecting humans if it is cooked properly. But that was one of the reasons it was called an unclean meat. They couldn't cook it properly and got ill. They linked that to God and you have an 'unclean meat' right there (there weren't complete idiots to science. Daniel even did a science experiment to show that eating vegetables was better than the "Royal food" provided by the King of Babylon ("Royal food" probably included unclean meats as Daniel didn't want to "defile" himself).

Anyway, about unclean foods: Many think the new Testament says that they can eat unclean meats, and it may well do. But, it would have to mention it after ACTS 10:9-28. Many misinterpret this passage, or may only read ACTS 10:9-16, which makes it sound like God saying you can eat clean meats. However, Peter (or had the vision) knew that this vision wasn't about food (in the vision he refused unclean meats while God said it was ok to eat them. The passage later says he thought about it twice, meaning he was unsure of the true meaning). He later met some gentiles, who, at that time, were considered unclean and Jews weren't meant to associate with them. Peter then realises that God meant that Jews should associate with gentiles, the true meaning of the vision.

If it says anything about eating unclean meat after that passage, then fine, but this passage shouldn't be cut up to get a false yet favourable meaning.

P.S. This was after Jesus said something like "what goes in the mouth leaves the body, but whatever leaves the mouth makes them unclean". The odd thing is, they weren't eating unclean food exactly. The Pharisees (the religious leaders), I think, complained that they didn't wash their hands before eating the food, which is what started Jesus' rant (this does tell us that Jesus, and God, obviously didn't know that bacteria existed and caused disease, but that's another argument). Besides, if unclean meat was allowed, why did Peter continue with the tradition?

I'd just like to add, the disease caused by poorly cooked pork is called Trichinosis. Its obviously safe today (aimed at the if the following precautions are taken:cooking it properly properly, keeping pigs in clean pens, preventing pigs from eating uncooked and infected animals, cleaning the grinders of previous pig meat, and destroying the actual parasite in infected meat (thank wikipedia).

Last addition: I KNEW someone would misinterpret Acts, but seeing as Colossians is later than Acts. Then that may override previous statements about the dietary laws.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Read the New Testament buddy. God rescinded those dietary laws.

Also, your health concerns about eating pork are completely bogus. I have been a pork producer and consumer for 35 years and am healthy as a horse. Pork is one of the safest and cleanest meats on the market.

Get a clue.

• 9 years ago

Christians follow the moral law. Not eating pork is not a moral precept, its a religious precept of the Mosaic covenant. Christians are under the New covenant in Christ, not the Mosaic covenant, this is also why we also don't sacrifice goats and pigeons either.

How come you don't ask why we don't sacrifice animals? Why are dietary religious precepts the only thing that matters to you?

• 9 years ago

Dietary laws in Leviticus are not to be applied to christians with gentile (not jew) origin. you need to read the Book of Acts and other sections of the New Testament.

Peace.

• 9 years ago

Leviticus and Deuteronomy are part of the Old Testament. According to the Gospels in the New Testament, Jesus Christ came to fulfill the laws of the Old Testament; therefore Christians are no longer under Old Testament law, including the prohibition of consuming pork and seafood, as well as haircutting, tattooing and other laws.

• Originally, It was the Jewish who did not eat pork as it was "said" that God did not want them to due to it being 'Unclean' and 'Unkocsher' (causing those things you listed) but that was back before Christianity.

Christians, although using the Bible as a sacred text are not Jewish, and do not follow Jewish laws. They follow the "Laws of Jesus" which is basically love one another, harmony, fairness etc etc.

On another note, It's rare that pork will cause those illnesses now, due to hygiene and proper cooking. Fish is more likely to make you sick.

• Dylan
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

1. Jesus revoked the dietary laws in Acts 11.

2. Pigs aren't nearly as dirty as you've been led to believe. They don't eat their own feces, and like most meat, if you don't cook it properly, you can get sick.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.