Frozen fruits/vegetables compared to ones that are freshly bought?

Does the frozen stuff lose any part of its original nutritional value or is it the same as eating fruits and vegetables that were never frozen?

Also is the frozen stuff harmful in any way?

all proper answers greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Fruits and vegetables destined to be shipped to the fresh-produce aisles around the country typically are picked before they are ripe, which gives them less time to develop a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. Outward signs of ripening may still occur, but these vegetables will never have the same nutritive value as if they had been allowed to fully ripen on the vine. In addition, during the long haul from farm to fork, fresh fruits and vegetables are exposed to lots of heat and light, which degrade some nutrients, especially delicate vitamins like C and the B vitamin thiamin.

When vegetables are in-season, buy them fresh and ripe. “Off-season,” frozen vegetables will give you a high concentration of nutrients. Choose packages marked with a USDA “U.S. Fancy” shield, which designates produce of the best size, shape and color; vegetables of this standard also tend to be more nutrient-rich than the lower grades “U.S. No. 1” or “U.S. No. 2.” Eat them soon after purchase: over many months, nutrients in frozen vegetables do inevitably degrade. Finally, steam or microwave rather than boil your produce to minimize the loss of water-soluble vitamins.

many times the frozen and canned has more nutrients than the fresh because of the time the 'fresh' was laying around in the store.

In the upper midwest in the winter, our fruits and veggies come from very far away. They spend at least 3-4 days getting to the customer. If the veggies were picked on a Monday, cleaned sorted and boxed and ready for shipping that night or the next day. At the minimum of 1 day in transit(more if it comes from South America) sorted again for sale at the warehouse and then in transit again to the individual stores, the 'fresh ' produce is now 3 days old, possibly older. It maybe gets put out on the produce case on Wednesday night and you shop on Thursday afternoon. Now that fresh stuff is 4 days old and you drag it home and keep it in your fridge for a day or so before it is use up. Your fresh veggies are close to a week old. Everything I have ever read about veggies and fruits is that is starts losing nutrient the minute it is picked from the plant.

Frozen and canned are frozen and canned the day they are picked.

Frozen generally does not have anything added. Canned veggies have salt, canned fruit has sugar.

Folks have lived on canned and frozen produce for many many years.

All that variety to see in the store was not available in the 50's and 60's and even in the early 70's and yet we survived.

Fresh is a wonderful goal but unless you are growing it in your back yard or buying from the farmers market where it was picked that morning or the night before, stuff in the store is not actually 'fresh".

Frozen veggies and fruits can be the same or even better nutrition-wise as fresh ones, BUT they will change *texture* and that makes most of them unpalatable to me.

They'll get mushier or rubberier usually. That's fine for fruits that you'll want to soften anyway (for sauces, smoothies, pies, etc) though, or perhaps for veggies you'll be pureeing, etc. But not good just for eating as regular cooked foods, in my opinion.

Many also have a kind of "freezer" taste that I don't care for, or get that after they've been opened.

The only frozen vegetables I'll usually eat at all will be the following (they'll taste different than fresh, but in these cases I still like what they do taste like):

...spinach, collard greens

...artichoke hearts

...black-eyed peas and other pulses/beans (not "green beans" though)

...sometimes corn

...sometimes potatoes as "hashbrowns" etc

...sometimes if they're coated with a tasty sauce

...sometimes if they come in a TV dinner, etc, with a lot of sauce and other stuff

I often keep frozen fruits around though, for smoothies, chicken sauces, pancake or ice cream topping sauces, etc, etc.

Frozen is just as good or better than "fresh". Frozen is frozen quickly after harvest but many veggies and fruits are actually sitting in a truck or boat for a week before they get to your market. I trust frozen for most things when I cook but somethings just taste better fresh like onions, peppers etc.

• bbgns

I read somewhere that frozen vegetables can have more vitamins, because they are preserved right away when frozen. As opposed to being in transit for a long time and losing vitamins and flavor. I don't know if it is true or not.

A lot of frozen food has crap added to it. I feel that fresh fruits and vegetables taste much better.

However, I DO keep frozen items in the freezer for last minute meals.

Fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant.

• F D

freash is the best then frozen