Why is osmosis is a special kind of diffusion?
- 9 years agoFavourite answer
I have taken answers from difrent websites so that my answer doesnt goes wrong.the best way to explain is thru points:-
1) Osmosis is the movement of water from higher concentration to lower concentration through a semi-permeable membrane, Its considered special because of Osmotic pressure.
1. If the medium surrounding the cell has a higher water concentration than the cell, the cell will gain water through osmosis. Such a solution is called a hypotonic solution.
2. If the medium has exactly the same water concentration , there will be no net movement of water across the cell membrane. Such a solution is called a isotonic solution.
3. If the medium has a lower concentration of water than the cell, meaning that it is a very concentrated solution the cell will lose water by osmosis. Such a solution is called a hypertonic solution.
2) because osmosis is the movement of water from a region of higher concentration to a region of lower concentration through a semi-permeable membrane. it is a kind of diffusion because in this water moves from a region of higher concentration to a region of lower concentration. it is a special kind of diffusion because it involves only movement of water and the movement occurs through a semi-permeable membrane
also refer to www.wikipedia.com
3) A special type of diffussion called osmosis.
Osmosis is the net movement of only WATER molecules from a region of their higher concentration to a region of their lower concetration though a partially/selectively permeable membrane. (cell membrane)
4) Osmosis is definitely a kind of diffusion. However, in biology, osmosis is usually not referred to as diffusion, purely for clarity; osmosis is a very important process, so the term diffusion is reserved for diffusion other than osmosis. But the terms diffusion and osmosis are also used outside of biology, and it is perfectly acceptable to refer to osmosis as the diffusion of water.
5) Osmosis is a specific type of diffusion (the diffusion of water). Osmosis is diffusion, but not all diffusion is osmosis.
Similar to the old all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
6) When salt water is added to an elodea leaf and all the chloroplasts within the cell moves to the outside of the cell or to the center of the cell. It balances the water
A red blood cell is placed in fresh water. There are more free water molecules outside the plasma membrane then inside the cell, so osmosis occurs- water diffuses through the blood cell (causing it to swell and burst).
the movement of water from an area of lesser concentration to one of greater concentration
Also when you soak rice the starch from the rice goes into the water causing the Change of color
Hope my answer helps you.Good luck n cheers.Source(s): All the answers are taken from Yahoo Answers Resolved Questions and Wiki answers.
- gardengallivantLv 79 years ago
Diffusion describes the molecular motion for any fluid (gasses and liquids) but osmosis describes molecular motions of <liquids> only. Diffusion happens when molecules are free to move from locally denser concentrations. It doesn’t have anything to do with any sort of membrane (semipermeable or otherwise) it relates only to local, dense concentrations of molecules becoming evenly distributed by random movement due to the molecule’s kinetic energy.
Osmosis is diffusion of a solvent across a selectively permeable membrane separating solutions with different concentrations of solutes that are *not free to move*. When there is a semipermeable membrane restricting the movement of the solutes *the solvent* will be drawn towards the <higher concentrations of solutes>.
- 9 years ago
Osmosis is the diffusion of water through a semi-permeable membrane.Source(s): I am in 9th grade and I've studied this.
- 9 years ago
diffusion can be between any two matters. but in osmosis one of of them has to be water. so osmosis
is a kind of diffusion
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- 5 years ago
BECAUSE ITS A GOOD BOY