Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

How many people had listened Srimad Bhagwad Geeta at the time it was spoken by the Lord Sri Krishna?

• Favourite answer

Lord Krishna gave Srimad Bhagwad Gita only to Arjuna and the entire world was in suspended animation at that time. Only exceptions were Sanjaya and Dhritarashtra.

Nobody talked on Bhagavad Gita at any other time except by Arjuna who wanted to hear again but the request was rejected by Lord Krishna!

1) Three contemporaries plus one divine Vedav Vyasa were the listeners:

One (Arjuna) listened Srimad Bhagavad Gita directly in front of Lord Krishna.

One with divine vision (and ear, both given by Vedav Vyasa) at the Hastinapura palace also listened (Sanjaya).

One more heard the running voice commentary through Sanjaya (the king Dhritarashtra).

Those three were the listeners of Bhagavad Gita when it was delivered.

Sage Vyasa who knows the past, present and future and later to write Mahabharata (Vyasa Bharata) could have recalled later!

2) Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 4, Verse 3:

स एवायं मया ते ऽदय यॊगः परॊक्तः पुरातनः

भक्तॊ ऽसि मे सखा चेति रहस्यं हय एतद उत्तमम

"sa evayam maya te ’dya

yogah proktah puratanah

bhakto ’si me sakha ceti

rahasyam hy etad uttamam"

"That very ancient science of the relationship with the Supreme is today told by Me to YOU because you are My devotee as well as My friend and can therefore understand the transcendental mystery of this science."

3) Bhagavad Gita Visvarupa Darsan:

Mahabharata, Book 6, Chapter 33, Verse 9):

(Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 11, Verse 9:

"संजय उवाच

एवम उक्त्वा ततॊ राजन महायॊगेश्वरॊ हरिः

दर्शयाम आस पार्थाय परमं रूपम ऐश्वरम"

sanjaya uvaca

evam uktva tato rajan

maha-yogesvaro harih

darsayam asa parthaya

paramam rupam aisvaram

Sanjaya said: O King, speaking thus, the Supreme, the Lord of all mystic power, the Personality of Godhead, displayed His universal form to Arjuna.

Sri Sridhara Swami's Commentary:

Having bequeathed the supernatural eyes of illumination the Supreme Lord Krishna exhibited His almighty, omnipotent, transcendental visvarupa or divine universal form. The description of this universal form is what is being described in this verse and the next five verses by Sanjaya, who was also given divine sight to see it by Vedavyasa.

(Sanjaya narrated the the whole incident to Dhritarashtra.

Dhritarashtra only heared the running commendary given by Sanjaya).

Without even reading the history, I know that I don't the the answer and wouldn't know the answer just by reading about. Firstly I don't how accurate the historical reports would be, and so I don't people where there. And then I don't what is meant by listening exactly. I don't whether people where really listening or not. I don't know how well they were listening and I don't know how they were listening, so there way of telling how many or what message was received.

I order to have an idea, I would have to go beyond all that, and go and listen myself, and I still would only have an idea of what was being conveyed. In order to offer an answer to the question that might be received as meaningful, I would need to go further still, and attempt to convey how I viewed it.

So it would still be a matter of going beyond the story and finding the truth and essence of what was there beneath the surface. It would be the same with all stories, no matter who wrote them or where they came from. Only from such a place, would the answer be revealed when far enough into the essence to see back where everything relevant fitted in. It would not be possible to fully convey in words.

If the interest is in Lord Sri Krishna, then it is how Lord Sri Krishna would have perceived/perceives that would be of significance.

• b bus

3

Bhagavad Gita In Mahabharata

• Gaura

Bhagavad-gītā As It Is 2.10

O descendant of Bharata, at that time Kṛṣṇa, smiling, in the midst of both the armies, spoke the following words to the grief-stricken Arjuna.

PURPORT

The talk was going on between intimate friends, namely the Hṛṣīkeśa and the Guḍākeśa. As friends, both of them were on the same level, but one of them voluntarily became a student of the other. Kṛṣṇa was smiling because a friend had chosen to become a disciple. As Lord of all, He is always in the superior position as the master of everyone, and yet the Lord agrees to be a friend, a son, or a lover for a devotee who wants Him in such a role. But when He was accepted as the master, He at once assumed the role and talked with the disciple like the master — with gravity, as it is required. It appears that the talk between the master and the disciple was openly exchanged in the presence of both armies so that all were benefitted. So the talks of Bhagavad-gītā are not for any particular person, society, or community, but they are for all, and friends or enemies are equally entitled to hear them.

http://vedabase.net/bg/2/10/

are you asking questions for the sake of asking or you really want to know how many listened to the geetha ?

if the geetha was told during the war and it was to Arjuna as per the story - and Krishna was the driver of the chariot of Arjuna- no one else could have listened other than Arjuna and the King Thruthrashra and his wife through the minister who was licensed to tell them by Krishna

all others in the battle field were waging war and they were expected to fight and not lo listen to sermons

It was Arjuna sitting just below Lord Krishna, Bisham Pitama sitting a lttle away through third sense and Sanjay sitting far away through telepathy

This question is interesting ! , there were countless of persons heard gita starting from bishma to drona , dhirudhurastra and his 100 sons , pandvas and kauravas sides .and al gods and demigods , devatas , 8 vasus , 4 vedas , and everything..

Source(s): dg