Where does a trojan/virus go when I delete it?

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and just ran a scan and it found a trojan. The security software asked me if I wanted to quarantine, delete and something else I believe. I deleted it. Should I have quarantined it and is my computer actually still at risk since I deleted it? Even though I deleted it, it is still on my computer right?

• Mike S

Once you delete it....its gone !

It's still on your computer, but probably not in a place where it can do harm.

Files have 3 lives:

1) The running period.

This is when it is MEANT to be there (aka programs/files you put there on purpose)

2) The recycling bin.

When you delete a file, it is sent to the recycling bin (just another folder, but with a different icon) until you empty it. You can skip the recycling bin completely by holding Shift while deleting the file (sending it to step 3 directly).

3) The hidden folder.

A file that is erased from the recycling bin isn't actually zeroed (deleted entirely by replacing the data), it's just given a new link location so you can't see it (for Windows it's C:/Recycled). All files put into this hidden folder are converted to an INFO2 file type to save space. The computer will NEVER delete these until it ABSOLUTELY needs the space, then it is deleted.

An anti-virus system should shoot malware down to step 3, where it shouldn't be able to do any harm (since it's now a different file type completely), or better yet, it might zero the program out of existence. (I can't say because I'm not familiar with your anti-virus system).

I hope this helps!

Source(s): Personal experience

run the scan again, see if it pops up. it may just have been a minor hassle

cyberspace