Neighbor kids being mean to my 4 year old?

Neighbor kids age 8 & 10 , my 4 year old has befriended, unfortunately there are no other children around. The other day I chastised the 8 year old for being disrespectful, (otherwise I am VERY VERY kind and accommodating to them) Anyway since then they are giving my 4 year old the cold should and saying things... show more Neighbor kids age 8 & 10 , my 4 year old has befriended, unfortunately there are no other children around. The other day I chastised the 8 year old for being disrespectful, (otherwise I am VERY VERY kind and accommodating to them) Anyway since then they are giving my 4 year old the cold should and saying things like "go home" "we don't like you anymore" And I should say their mother is doing nothing about it even after speaking to her. I know for my son it is the best thing in the long run, but how do I explain to him when he ask "why are they being so mean to me"?
Update: Just a note all your comments are encouraging Thanks. My son goes EVERYWHERE with me I mean he is literally known by everyone at "the bank" at Lowes, Walmart. Because everyone always sees us together. I have explained to him about older kids etc. The hard part is my son doesn't even have a concept of being "mean"... show more Just a note all your comments are encouraging Thanks. My son goes EVERYWHERE with me I mean he is literally known by everyone at "the bank" at Lowes, Walmart. Because everyone always sees us together. I have explained to him about older kids etc. The hard part is my son doesn't even have a concept of being "mean" and the general vindictiveness these kids are being aloud to show toward me and especially him is so sad. I think we need to go to the local park more often now and maybe find a rec center. My son does go to school, and the sad part is the older girl used to even walk with me to pick him up! Now he is asking "where's Jenny" It's just very sad to see my son, whose so innocent to go through this. But I agree with the writer he needs to learn there are mean kids and those kids should be avoided. Just hard to see him be so sad over this. And I might add, there are a few kids in the neighborhood and these 2 kids all by themselves have been aloud to tell all these kids to stay away