Will pulling the clutch of bike while moving in down slope will harm my bike engine/clutch plate ?

Hi all,

I thought of saving fuel in bike :) So i thought of pulling clutch while i am through any down slope. I am really worried with two questions

1. whether it will harm my bike engine or clutch plate or any other part of bike ?

2. Am i really saving fuel by doing so ?

Kindly help me here,because i am really unaware of automobile engineering :(

Thanks in advance

• x
    Favorite Answer

dont do that

it will melt clutch plate

by the way shift to neutral

and switch engine off

at the end of your flyover

switch on ignition key and shift to 1st gear and slowly release clutch(do not use auto-start it takes more fuel and battery)

Source(s): experience of pulsar 150 cbz * super splendor bullet electra ts (currently)

It won't harm the engine if the clutch is fully disengaged, and it will save a small amount of fuel.

If the clutch is not properly disengaged, it will wear the clutch plates.

However, if you accidentally let the clutch in with the engine idling or off, you may cause the rear wheel to skid and might lose control.

You could also shift to neutral. Re-engaging the engine would best be done when stationary

Coasting like this may be illegal in certain jurisdictions, although hybrid vehicles do it all the time under computer control.

If you do this in a car, you will lose power assistance on the brakes and steering, at least if the engine is off.

Source(s): done that

Your bike is not a race car, so you will not save all that much fuel. While pulling in the clutch will not really hurt anything, you will cause unnecessary ware on the clutch system. Lets put it this way, everything wares out, everything has a limited amount of operations in it's life. Lets say for example, a clutch cable. Lets say it has 10,000 operations in it, before it breaks. The more you use it, the faster you get to that 10,000 operations breaking point. Under normal use, it may last five years. But if you overly use it, it will maybe only last four years.

Also coasting like that, is not really as safe as it would seem to be.

• Shalu

When u go down a slop...use the engine brake,,,never use the throttle while going down...or fully pull the clutch & apply both brakes but its not a safe method if the surface is wet the bike could skid off...So the correct method is to put in 2nd gear for optimum speed then pull the clutch in half poistion if u want to slow down again leave the clutch very slowly...I do this all day,i live in a high range area,i have to pass a 1.5 km hill to reach my home...if u said which bike u had..could given a better answer...the heavier ur bike..the better stability u will get in slopes..& this technique will save a small amount of fuel...nothing much..but the bike will drink twice the fuel when going up...it takes a lot of practice...so do as I told u..

Source(s): Riding in high range area for 5yrs..
  • siju

This will decrease the life of the clutch plate and brake pads, but won't do any serious damages to engine. U can save fuel also.

But this is not the correct method of driving as it can cause serious accidents and I wont recommend this kind of driving.

U have to apply too much pressure on the brakes to keep the bike in control. In case of highly inclined slopes, wet roads or incase of any brake failure, there is a chance that u may loose control of ur bike and will cause serious accidents.

ALWAYS PRACTICE ONLY CORRECT METHODS OF DRIVING AND BE A PERFECTIONIST IN DRIVING. This will give u more satisfaction than saving money on fuel. Also the bike and u will be in good condition always.

using clutch always rubs of clutch plate.

using clutch in down slope actually frees engine to gather more speed.,dont do it.

If your brakes are okay at best you can ride down slope in neutral gear-even that is not advisable.

theres no fuel savings (when your accelerator is on) for 4 stroke engines.

If the down slope is too steep, better go in third gear, otherwise in 4th gear.In pursuit of saving fuel money, dont put your safety in peril, basically.

man,thanks god i was also doing this for the last 1 year in my unicorn , i was getting 5 kms more than with out cletch, actully i cant stopping doing ie becauz its automatically don e by me

But the engine heats up more than usual i noticed.... May this due to the friction between engine oil and fast moving plates which is very closed packed.......man but u should be careful enough to raose the rpm to match the speed.... When u release the clutch......according to me its like a delayed gear shift process........

Source(s): personal exp

you will damage your clutch plate when you are riding at higher gear and holding clutch more than REQUIRED and accelerating . Second holding clutch doesnt save fuel .

• Tim D

You will not save fuel by doing this. You will also not be in complete control of your bike.

With this you can not save fuel.