Should I move to the UK, or should my fiance join me in Canada?

  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
The original plan was for him to join me in BC (Canada) once he'd finished with undergrad university, but he has no ties (besides myself) to Canada, so his only option would be a more
Update : I love Canada, I'm looking for what the most practical solution is, more
Update 2: more
Best Answer
I don't know where you have been getting your information from, but it's codswallop.
No 'double descent' citizenship. As your father is British by descent he cannot pass it on to his children. You are not British.
Fiance visas allow you to marry n the UK, not reside there. You have to marry within six months. Marriage to a UK citizen does not give you the right to abode in the UK. If you do marry you would have to apply for a spouse visa.
Your best option is the Ancestry visa.

You really need to check your sources, why not get the right info from the horse's mouth:
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Maggie answered 2 years ago
    As others have said, you cannot be British as British citizenship can only be passed down by parents who are British otherwise than by descent.

    The family settlement route will shortly change and it will be much tougher to come to the UK as the fiance, spouse or dependent relative of a UK citizen or someone settled here.

    Changes are expected in the summer that will set a minimum income level for sponsors of somewhere between £18,000 and £25,000. At the moment, all your b/f would need to show is that he has £105.95 per week left over after rent, council tax and utilities to support you without recourse to public funds. Obviously, he would need to find employment after he graduates to meet this requirement before he could sponsor you.

    A fiance visa allows you to come to the UK to marry. After marriage you would have to apply for a spouse visa to remain in the UK. Until you have a spouse visa you cannot work.

    The changes are also likely to lengthen the probation period before a non EEA spouse can claim indefinite leave to remain from two years to five years in line with other routes to settlement.

    Other changes are likely to be made to toughen up the proof of a genuine relationship evidence required.

    If these changes come into effect, the ancestry visa will be your best option. It will be cheaper and easier to apply for.

    You only need to prove that you have a British born grandparent and that there is every likelihood of you finding employment in the UK.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • froggequene answered 2 years ago
    You're not eligible for citizenship by descent - citizenship only passes down once from parent to child, so your father benefits but you don't. If your father had been born in the UK or you had been born in the UK then you would have quailfied for citizenship. (If your grandparents were born in Northern Ireland that would be useful as it would gain you Irish citizenship but it's unlikely they were)

    You do however qualify for an ancestry visa - with an ancestry visa it would take you five years to qualify for the British equivalent of permanent residence (Indefinite Leave to Remain - ILR) but it would alleviate the need to rush into marriage. You would be doing things in your own right rather then being dependent, you could also get married when it suits.

    Going down the marriage route, if the spouse visa is granted the route to ILR (eventually citizenship) is shortened however you will both be expected to provide evidence that the relationship is genuine & he will be expected to demonstrate he has sufficient income to support you both & put a roof over your heads without recourse to publice funds (he can't be signing on)
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • John.s answered 2 years ago
    Stay in canada. Its a better place to live .trust me ?


    Real life ?? And then some .
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

    to add your answer

Who is following this question?

    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week: