is Neosporin still effective after its expiration date? (say 2007)?

A female friend of mine saw that I had cut my hand, which is relatively deep, and gave me Neosporin to apply to the wound. It is from 2007, should i still use it?

"is Neosporin still effective after its expiration date? (say 2007)?" -- The effectiveness declines over time and you're talking about a topical antibiotic that's more than 5 years old. Although some antibiotics can become toxic when expired Neosporin is not but it's not effective either.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

Any product regulated by the FDA has an expiration date, even bottled water. Mineral oil and petroleum jelly make up the bulk of Neosporin and they don't really expire. So yes you would be safe.

I took tylenol once that had expired 3 months before, and it made me sick as a dog! I barfed for days Lol! Don't take it past the expiration date, the date was put there for a reason.

I'm sure that it does go bad at some point

Just to be on the safe side go ahead and throw it away

It can't do any harm to you but it probably won't work so I'd go and buy some more

Nothing to worry, it still works.