is Neosporin still effective after its expiration date? (say 2007)?

A female friend of mine saw that I had cut my hand, which is relatively deep, and gave me Neosporin to apply to the wound. It is from 2007, should i still use it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

"is Neosporin still effective after its expiration date? (say 2007)?" -- The effectiveness declines over time and you're talking about a topical antibiotic that's more than 5 years old. Although some antibiotics can become toxic when expired Neosporin is not but it's not effective either.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Any product regulated by the FDA has an expiration date, even bottled water. Mineral oil and petroleum jelly make up the bulk of Neosporin and they don't really expire. So yes you would be safe.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I took tylenol once that had expired 3 months before, and it made me sick as a dog! I barfed for days Lol! Don't take it past the expiration date, the date was put there for a reason.

• 8 years ago

I'm sure that it does go bad at some point

Just to be on the safe side go ahead and throw it away

It can't do any harm to you but it probably won't work so I'd go and buy some more

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nothing to worry, it still works.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.