Atheists, if someone offered you 20 million dollars to become a Christian?

Would you do it?

Conditions are you have to act as a Christian, read the Bible and preach the Gospel every day.

What is your answer and what does that say about your personality?

redsombrero, obviously you'd still be an atheist in heart, but my question is whether you are willing to turn against your own values and fake being a Christian for money.

I'm neither an atheist nor a Christian, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Having money is nice, and I could definitely use that 20 million for a lot of things. Still, money is not EVERYTHING. I don't really need to be filthy rich. All I need is enough money to be able to always have a roof over my head, good food, clothes to wear, etc. Once my needs are filled, I can either take it or leave it, and I don't usually need *that* much. (I tend to use money pretty sparingly as it is.)

On the other hand... Integrity means a LOT to me. Having to pretend to be something I'm not, having to fake it EVERY f*cking day, propagating a religion I basically can't stand... It might not physically kill me, but on a mental level, it would be murder, bloody murder. I would feel absolutely wretched. And to me, one of the most important things in life is being happy. I can't be happy without being allowed to be myself, just the way I am. So that's why it's a definite no.

20 million dollars to live an inescapable lie until I die.

I don't think i'd live that long if that's what my life would become.

What's the point of having all that money if I can't spend it on drugs and hookers anyway?

• Liam

Why would someone pay me 20 million dollars to lie when most Christians do it for free?

Source(s): Atheist
  • Silent

No. It's that last part about preaching the Gospel that kills it for me.

I already "act as a Christian" more than most Christians, and I have already read the Bible. But it would be unethical for me to preach a religion I didn't believe in, to try to sway others to believe in it — especially a religion like Christianity.

Well, every priest, minister and pastor lies about believing so I don't see why I couldn't.

Though when push came to shove, I just couldn't do it. My scruples and morals are far greater than any religious person's...

"What's the point of having all that money if I can't spend it on drugs and hookers anyway?"

Err, most pastors and ministers do that anyway. And the anti-gay ones spend the money on male hookers!

• Adam

Of course I would. I'd be a Christian for as long as it took to get the money, buy everything I needed (house, car, etc), invest the rest in property, and stop as soon as I've generated a massive income.

Sure, maybe that makes me a faith whore. Who cares?

Thia is the dumbest question I've seen on here. One either is or is not an atheist, regardless of what one may have taken money to pretend to be. Ditto a member of any faith. Are you implying that atheists are ready to perjure themselves but believers aren't? Believers are good guys, you seem to mean, like every Mafioso who ever lived (no doubt a good Catholic boy).

Please go away.

Out of curiosity,how would they enforce that?

It's not like they can stalk you constantly.

I hope....

• Gabby

Oh please, they can act as if they are believers, but i bet they'll be still atheists undercover just for that amount of money.

• Josh

No, you either believe in God or you don't. I wouldn't be ableto believe this bullshit.