why "puns" are referred to as the lowest form of wit?

puns hence used are offending or hurt people. But why it is the lowest form of wit? the person who uses puns should be very intelligent and has a great presence of mind!

Alexander Pope, James Joyce, Vladimir Nabokov, Robert Bloch, Lewis Carroll, John Donne, and William Shakespeare . they all have used it!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

I think somebody who didn't like puns said that. I personally believe they take a lot of mind and word knowledge to make a good pun- not the lame everyday kind but a truly funny one. Perhaps that's why someone said that- a lot of people think they are making up puns when really they're just being lame!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 5 years ago

Because most people assume that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but do not realise that the figure of speech known as paronamasia is the description of punning. The art of using words to amuse and indicate alternative meanings.

• 8 years ago

This is an unearned reputation, in my view. The view is a carry-over from the statements of a few people important to the regularization of modern English. they tended to hold that puns were of little value since they seemed so easily made.

An alternative view, and one which I hold, is that the value of a thing is not derived from the ease to which it is created, but rather from the effect that it generates. Puns can sometimes be quite witty, surprising in their duplicity, and quite a strong and readily accessible means for pointing out hypocrisy and irony. Everyone undertands puns.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Other forms are wittier, like satire or sarcasm. The Bard assigned punning to his messengers and jester-types in his plays, so puns were considered common.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.