Why are people who do not agree with homosexuality called homophobic?

Isn't phobia considered having a fear?

If you don't agree with homosexuality, you automatically hate?

Did I ever state my opinion on the matter? I don't think so. Very nice calling names though...are we in Kindergarten again?

Favorite Answer

One of the battles the homosexuals and lesbians have waged in their attempt to get homosexuality accepted in American culture is the war of words. The terms "homophobe," "homophobic," "homophobia," are often used to describe anyone who disagrees with homosexuality. Generally speaking, if they can get us to react to their words on their terms, much of the battle is already won by them. Such is the case with accusing anyone who disapproves of homosexuality as being homophobic. The intent is to use a term that has a negative emotional connotation and use it in such a way as to accuse the guilty party of unwarranted prejudice and discrimination. It is, ultimately, a disingenuous way of dealing with the issue. Generally speaking, when such tactics are used it is because the intellectual arguments in support of it are not that strong.

There are plenty of people in the world who disapprove of various behaviors such as lying, coveting, hatred, mockery, stealing, and pedophilia. Because they disapprove of these things are they automatically be labeled as "liarphobes", "covetophobes", "hateophobes", "mockophobes", "theftophobes", "pedophilophobes", etc.?

Biblically speaking homosexuality is a sin (Lev. 18:22; 20:13; 1 Cor. 6:9-10; Rom. 1:26-28) as are adultery (Exodus 20:14), theft (Exodus 20:15), and lying (Exodus 20:16). It is not as though the ones against it are emotionally unstable in their phobia of these sins. God has condemned them as being sinful.

So, disapproving of something does not mean that the person has an unwarranted, unhealthy fear of it based on prejudice, ignorance, and bigotry. And, using the term "homophobe" to describe a person who sees homosexuality as a sin is not an argument based on logic or evidence. Instead, it is based on weak emotionalism and judgmentalism.

• Zunden

Actually, "homophobia" was originally the fear of monotony. But who cares about original definitions, right?

After a while, I believe homophobia was adopted as a term for the fear of BECOMING homosexual. As there is indeed a correlation between men who are very expressively disapproving of homosexuality and men who are actually aroused by other men in erotic situations (AKA, are likely homosexuals in denial), it was pretty easy to start accusing the most vocally opposed men of being homophobic--too afraid of their sexual orientation to admit it, so they just pretend to hate homosexuals instead. Over time, people forget what the actual line of thought in calling these men "homophobic" is, and then start to feel that "homophobia" is just any irrational dislike, fear, or hatred directed at homosexuals.

• ?

Homophobia was coined by a psychologists, blame him.

People do fear gays. That whole "homosexual agenda" crap, is out of peoples fear. Thinking gays are taking over society, I'd call that a fear.

I usually prefer the term anti-gay. But I know I can always call one of them a homophobe to push their buttons

hehe

It is painfully obvious gay isn't wrong. I always see either circular reasoning or superstition. Most religious people confuse morality with piousness. Gay doesn't mean manipulation, deceit or coercion. Gays pose no threat to the population (sperm goes in female, doesn't need sex). If everybody was a murderer, then we'd all get murdered, but if everybody was gay, we'd still have peace.

I don't need to debate anybody. I won't hate back, those people who hate us gays are the ones getting a headache, not me, and their wrongs against me will be forever be what they'll life will have been of.

Depends on what you mean by "disagree with homosexuality." One could align that definition with homophobia (originally coined to refer to a fear of associating with gay people, but has evolved into meaning any enmity or antipathy towards gay people). Still, you are sort of right. Just because a person is opposed to homosexuality - even those who hold out against common sense and still claim it to be a choice - are not necessarily against gay people. However, there is a strong correlation. A lot of people who claim to just be against homosexuality are using that to justify their homophobia. Not all, of course, but some.

• yadon

for the reason that's merely the vernacular term that has developed to describe bigotry against queer human beings. specific, "phobic" technically potential "concern." And merely going via the muse words used "homophobic" technically could actually mean "concern of the comparable." mutually as we are at it, even words like "gay" and "heterosexual" are nonsensical, on the grounds that they're a mix of Greek and Latin roots. yet all words are extra desirable than the sum of their areas, and in modern-day English the definition of "homophobic" is going previous indicating pathalogical concern of gay human beings (yet it may point out that throughout specific circumstances) and can confer with well-known bigotry. in case you like extra suitable words, attempt "heterosexist." Or "heterosexual supremacist."

i prefer the term heterosexist, but really hate tends to stem from fear, so homophobic still works

• Ali

Homo= homosexual

Phobia= unrational fear

First coined by Amistead Maupin an American author.

Homophobic men always have sex with me it's weird.

Homophobes always try to play this word game. It was wrong the first time some homophobic halfwit thought it was clever, it was wrong the next ten thousand times other homophobic halfwits thought it was clever, it's wrong this time, and it'll still be wrong the next time some homophobic halfwit thinks it's clever.

• steffi

because they make a moral judgment on gay people. that's discriminatory and in fact homophobic.