Will robots take over?!!?

Will machines rule the world in future? Will computers take over the world?

I know there's a low probability but I wanna know what people think about this....

So for curiosity's sake let's have a discussion guys .

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

First, machines need people to invent, build, and repair them.

For machines to do all those things, technology would have to advance for a few more hundred years.

Second, the emotion factor. Machines will some day have 'fake' emotions. That is; computer programs that make machines SOUND like they have emotions, but it is still programs.

For a machine to 'want' to "take-over-the-world," someone has to program such desires into the machine. People fight wars for land and religion. Even when a machine thinks, i.e. self-aware, it most likely would NOT put land or religion on it's priorities to exist, let alone take-over-the-world.

Next, machines are slowly being developed to look and sound like people. So one day, if people are ALL gone, we would have a world full of machines that look and sound like people. Being around people for so long, they probably would continue to mimic everything we do. Families, jobs, even go through space, looking for more 'people' just like them.

I love Terminator movies more than any one else. A body that lives 120 years and can not be physically hurt? Put my brain in one of those cyborgs. But think about it; SkyNet used our nuclear bombs to destroy most of everything! WHO would program a machine to 'think' like that? A real SkyNet, thinking or not, would want to build a better world, for itself. Destroying everything is NOT making a better world. And again, someone has to repair and maintain SkyNet. It would not have technology to build machines to repair it constantly. Again, that technology does not yet exist!

How was that?

Source(s): At my college (IRSC), there is a science lab where they learn to build really small robots. Think RUMBA with eyes and a bigger "brain." The robot 'sees' everything, watches tv, recognizes it's owners, and likes to be 'picked up,' but no one knows why. At no time does the robot think "kill people." It seems to LIKE being around people, animals. They even take it for car rides and it just looks at everything. Wonder what it is thinking..... Hmmmm. The teacher in the robot lab told me that, with technology advancing, a Terminator Cyborg-sized robot will be possible in less than 20 years. How it ACTS around people, will depend entirely upon it's programming. Think cops, warehouse workers, fire fighters, etc.
  • Bob B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I don't think this is a realistic cause for concern, at least not for the forseeable future.

Real-world computers and robots can only do what they are programmed to do, and aren't even remotely capable of thinking for themselves. They wouldn't even be able to develop the desire to take over the world, let alone take any steps to get there.

A computer that was capable of thinking on its own, developing the desire to take over the world, and formulating a plan to achieve that, would require technology far more advanced than our own. We may one day develop such technology and build a machine complicated enough to do all these things. Even then the first ones will almost certainly have some kind of failsafe or override in case they went wrong.

Eventually we will probably develop an intelligent machine that thinks for itself without oversight. Now, it's not inconceivable (however unlikely) that it would decide to try and take over the world. To be honest though, this isn't really that much more dangerous than a human trying to take over the world- it would be very difficult to get the resources and firepower necessary to do this, and even then you're up against police, security forces, the military, and so forth. A computer might be more intelligent than a human, but otherwise it has no advantage there.

On top of that, if there are other intelligent machines on the humans' side, either by choice or by design, a rebel computer might not even have the intelligence advantage either.

The other thing worth mentioning is that humans are already experimenting with crude technologies to improve the human brain (right now they are for people with disabilities, but eventually they will probably be used to enhance healthy people). By the time intelligent machines appear, the distinction between human and machine may be a little blurry.

• Bob D1
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The quantum computer will make the difference, all of the difference. Digital, 2^64 = 1.84 x 10^19; Quantum qbit, 3^64 = 3.43 x 10^30 and more.

If the quantum computer can be made small enough, it will bring into sharper focus the fine line between computer computation and human consciousness. I predict that one day, humans will be machines and the machines will be humans, ageless, and in perfect symmetry.

Best regards

Source(s): self
  • 5 years ago

Well the dance the robot used to be established off the historical film robots from the way in which they walked so ordinarily its just strolling most of the time love it would. Now-a-days if its a today's subtle robotic is regularly just dancing.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Paula
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

There's a ton of SF books on this.

It would take a super intelligent robot that essentially was able to override its program and act independently.

It's been done in SF many times

It's hard to imagine it ever happening in real life.

If it did, we'd be in trouble.

• 5 years ago

i think that robots will take over but not with out some help, and hundreds of years in the futer once we program then to think for them self and make destitution and they start to think like humans thats when we will be in trouble they will learn to repair them self and how to build and improve a well, it all starts with a program but the wrong program will change the fate of humanity

• 8 years ago

Probably not, there isn't that much in the way of competition for limited resources when it comes to humans vs robots.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No. how would machines fix themselfs and get their energy.

i dont believe that its possible for a computer to think for itself, it has to be programmed.

• Nazuk
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

don't think so

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Source(s): Hahaha, nice tumbing down. Well yes has a binary equivalent guess what it is.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.