if a pc makes beeping noises and the monitor isn't working, what's wrong?

ok so i faced a problem with my pc, and its at a workshop, so i got my old DELL Dimension 3100 out of the closet, plugged it in, made sure everything is good, turned it on, as soon as it starts, it makes a beeping sound, and the screen says no signal,?, so i press the power button and it instantly shuts down, i take off its cover, make sure the ram was in goodly, and i found pretty dusty, so i cleaned it with a duster, didnt use a liquid, same problem, please help, posting this from my friend's laptop.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Could be a number of things The beeps and sequence are important could be a PSU problem .

Use this link to find out exactly what the beeps mean .

http://kb.iu.edu/data/afzy.html

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

What kind of beeps? 3 beeps and a short pause and then three more and so on or just a beep after a beep after a beep with no particular beat? 3 beeps SCREAMS a RAM issue. You may also have a heatsink issue which means the cpu is overheating almost instantly. Computers do have self-preservation skills.

You might try removing the cmos battery.Cycle the power and then re-insert the battery. Jumper reset is another option.

More beep codes http://www.nullamatix.com/dell-diagnostic-beep-cod... .

• 7 years ago

One of the main cause for this is that the RAM may not be plugged in properly. Try the RAM in a different slot if possible.

The other reason is that any of the fans may not be working or plugged out.

This is new technology, when the temperature exceeds a certain value, the PC just shuts down for good.

Also, don't forget to reset BIOS.

Source(s): Experience.
  • oleary
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Beeping each 14-15 seconds means that your equipment is working submit. that's definitely an particularly stable sign! There are signs and indicators of life. likely, your motherboard, means furnish and CPU are all stable. So, the submit technique is getting interrupted someplace between sorting out of RAM and initializing of video card. First, make beneficial that your RAM is DDR3 1333 or slower. If this is DDR3 1600 or quicker, there's a ninety% threat that your RAM is incompatible. I see this lots on Intel builds. human beings purchase quicker RAM hoping to overclock. large plan, yet you are able to submit first. you choose nicely matched RAM to submit. So this is a seize-22. you choose "slower" RAM to submit so which you would be able to tweak BIOS settings and then deploy the "quicker" RAM... if your RAM is the right velocity, then the likely hangup is the video card. bear in mind that in the process your equipment, there are 2 video enjoying cards...and the Gigabyte mainboard (the middle i3 processor, definitely) is the default video card. So... The workaround on your subject could be so ordinary as removing the GTX 275 card (I advise, bodily eliminate the video card with the equipment powered off). Then hook up your video exhibit to the motherboard. If it boots that way, enter the BIOS and set your pictures to initialize PCI-show slot first. Then save, go out, reboot, close down, means off. Then reinstall the GTX 275, and don't overlook the better means connectors for the GTX 275. (i think of there is two of them, definitely)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

The beeping is probably the bios telling you there is an issue. If you know your motherboard manufacturer, you can listen to the pattern in the beeps and look these up online and it will tell you what the problem is. Check out this wikipedia page. It lists what different beep error codes are for different bios. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

• 7 years ago

It is a hardware error. You could open it, and then remove the ram memories, also look for a watch-type battery installed in the motherboard, remove it for a few seconds and push the power button (with no power plug) about 20 or 30 seconds, then reinstall it, also reinstall the memory cards and try to start it. If your hard drive doesn't have any issue, it could start normally, but hard drive could be damaged by now.

• 7 years ago

Depends on the type of beeping.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.