2. Types Of Processor

3. What Are Its Usage

4. What Happens When It Gets Damaged

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

get ready to read A LOT of info. here goes:

1) A processor is a type of microchip that is used to receive, process, and send out instructions and commands. it is typically made of silicon and other materials. it is capable of different working speeds, the highest i've ever seen is 4.2 gigahertz. in some cases, computers have more than one processor, such as server computers and i think supercomputers.

2) The types of processors vary between their intended purposes. for desktops that are used in a home, there are microprocessors with different "cores" inside of them. basically, the technology is designed to have more than one processor inside one single chip. i don't fully understand myself how they do this, but it makes a big difference how many cores a processor has. the weakest processors are single core microchips, the top low range/low mid range microchips are dual core, there are a few (and i do mean only a few) three core microchips. then there is four core microchips. a processor development company called AMD has managed to make six core and eight core microchips, although the most these processors ever need to use are two or three.

Still at types of processors, there is a type of processor that is used for creating what you see on your monitor. these graphics processor units (often shortened to GPU) come in the form of being built in to your motherboard, or they come in the form of "cards" that can be plugged into the PCI or PCI-Express slots on your motherboard. if you get a "graphics card" then it most often comes as a card the looks like a piece of a motherboard, with a fan attached to it so it doesn't overheat, and little gold squares on the bottom of it that connect to the PCI or PCI-Express slot. the processor part is underneath the fan. on the side there should be a metal part the has different shaped and colored plugs on it. these are the different plugs for your monitor, monitors have different kinds of plugs. the ones i've seen are D-Sub, VGA, DVI, and HDMI. you also need a big enough power unit to power both the graphics card and the rest of your system. some processors (the ones that make your computer work, also called a CPU, not the GPU) have built in graphics capabilities.

3) a CPU is used for many things. depending on what machine it is in, it does different tasks. i'll just cover the ones it does in a desktop or laptop.

In home used machines, such as desktops or laptops, a CPU is responsible for processing the commands it is receiving, and tells the other parts what to do. if you try to boot into windows, it tells the hard drive to start reading itself so you can boot up windows and log in and all that other stuff. if you try to download something, it tells the hard drive to start writing the data to itself. when you turn the computer on, it tells the graphics unit you're using to start displaying to the monitor. you get the idea. it also receives responses to these commands, to which it sends out more info. such as when windows encounters an error it cannot fix itself without interrupting your work, it sends info to the CPU which then signals it to initiate the blue screen of death. the CPU is essentially the brain of your computer. and the motherboard is all the nerves, carrying out the commands of the CPU to different parts of the computer.

4) if your CPU is damaged, such as if it's dropped, or one of the connector pins is bent, or anything else, it WILL NOT WORK. if you try to make it work, it could have drastic consequences. if you turn on a computer with a damaged CPU then it might boot up, but fail and short circuit. this could fry your entire computer. it might just simply not turn on, or turn on then shut down. but it short circuiting could happen, even though it's only worst case scenario.

well i hope i answered your questions well enough, and if you have anymore e-mail me at brandonryther@yahoo.com and i'll be sure to answer them! good luck!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Binary Market Secure Success http://netint.info/AdvancedTradingTechnology
  • 7 years ago

a processor is a bunch of electronic switches arranged so that they can be set to do math. this processing, of math gets multiplied to a scale where the ones and zeroes mean get translated into information that is usable.

there are many types however the consumer market likes to categorize them by number of cores (bunches of specific switches to handle a complete set of mathematical functions). a single core can do one task at a time. dual cores do 2, quad cores do 4 and so on and so forth.

the uses of a processor are to manage all the information. imagine that a computer is like a person doing math work on a table. the sheets of paper stacked up are the storage, the paper right in front of the person and the person who actually does the work is the processor. by doing little tasks in a certain order enough times, you can do really complex stuff.

when a processor gets damaged, (enough to be noticed) it will cease to work all together. since all the little switches are used often and most depend on the proper output of previous switches, a failure of one little switch will make a failure down each next switch until the final values of the specific task is completely wrong.

I can't make it simpler than that however the other answers are great with details.

• 7 years ago

The Central Processing Unit (CPU) is also called "PROCESSOR" and is responsible for interpreting and executing most of the commands from the computer's hardware and software. It is the brain of the computer since it controls all task of the computer. Just like the human body where the brain interprets information as well as control all the senses, the Processor in a computer has a similar function.

There are two main brands of processor INTEL and AMD

There are a number of types of processors that comes under these

*Intel offers Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Celeron, Pentium II Xeon, Pentium III, Pentium II and III Xeon, Celeron with Pentium III Based, Pentium 4, Pentium M, Intel Core, Dual Core Xeon LV, Intel Pentium Dual Core, Intel Core 2. Pentium Duo, Pentium Dual Core, Core 2 Quad, Intel Pentuim 2 Dual Core Processor.

*AMD processors include AMD Athlon, AMD Athlon 64, AMD Athlon X2, AMD Athlon Xp, AMD Duron, AMD Sempron, AMD Turion, MD Opteron and AMD Phenom 1.

When a processor gets damaged, a computer will not start up any at all since it is the brain of the computer and controls everything.

Source(s): Certified Computer technician
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Think of it as a calculator. The processor is the brain that sits there and does basic binary calculations. Using pipelining and multi-cores means it can do calculations faster and do more than one calculation at the same time.

Although all the CPU is doing is simple binary math, those sequences of numbers correspond to specific instructions that the PC uses to make things happen.

If your CPU is damaged, then your computer is literally brain-dead.

Source(s): I'm a CS major who took a computer architecture class
  • 7 years ago

1. A processor is a piece of hardware that processes and executes commands.

2. (I don't fully understand this bit) There are single core, dual core, tri core(rarely), quad core, etc.

3. (makes no sense

4. If the CPU gets damaged it will work inefficiently or cease to work.

• 7 years ago

just go to wikipedia n u will get ample of knowledge about processors

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.