Difference between Till and Until?

Can someone help me to understand the difference between till and until in a simple way? Please guide me with some examples.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The difference is minute, but still there. Contrary to various websites and sources which claim that they are same, it would be wrong to say that there is no difference between them. There is a slight difference! Content Caramel has tried to explain to you the difference in the simplest and easiest way possible. Polish and shine!

Till- (meaning) the process (and the time-period, of course!) up to the point of time or action

Here, emphasis is on the entire time-period involved or the course of action up to the completion.

Until- (meaning) reference to the end-point in time of reference or commencement of an activity

Here, emphasis is many a times on the end time or the action mentioned, however, it involves the process too.

Where is the difference?

Answer: where and what you emphasize upon.

1. a) You will get nothing till you complete the work.

(Reference is to the time-period for the completion of the work. Here, reference is to the time during which the work is done and then, completed.)

b)You will get nothing until you complete the work.

(Reference is to the time at which he completes the work. You will get something only when you have completed the work, and not before that.)

2. a) You won’t get to sleep till your father arrives. (Reference to the entire time-period from when the person says the sentence to the time his father arrives)

You won’t get to sleep until your father arrives. (Reference to the time at which his father arrives, say 10 p.m. )

b) Ram will receive benefits till he serves us.

Ram will receive benefits until he serves us.

3. a)Until the work is done, I won’t accompany you. (Apply the explanation given in sentence 2)

b) Till the work is done, I won’t accompany you.

4. a) He works till 5 p.m. every day.

Right. (Explanation: He works the whole day/ from the reporting time to 5 p.m. and not after that.)

b) He works until 5 p.m. every day. (Grammatically wrong and makes no sense! This proves that till and until are not interchangeable.)

This sentence would work, rather:

He works until it is 5 p.m. every day.

(Explanation: He works till the time its 5 p.m. Here, there is no reference of the time-period before 5p.m.)

The difference, probably, must be evident to you by now. Contrary to what most websites concerning English writing and grammar tell, there is a big (though, hardly noticeable) difference between the two words.

REVISE AGAIN :

Till- When you use till, you refer to the entire time-period concerned up to the point in time or the point of action

Until- When you have to refer to a point in time, and nothing before that

I hope this post helped you in understanding the detail clearly. Feel free to clarify your doubts.

Content Caramel will continue to assist you in future with its flawless English-communication prowess.

http://contentcaramel.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/til...

http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/usage/until-till...

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/until-till-ti...

• 3 years ago

Till Vs Until

• 3 years ago

Until Or Till

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Difference between Till and Until?

Can someone help me to understand the difference between till and until in a simple way? Please guide me with some examples.

Source(s): difference until: https://tr.im/Bjoms
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axrmL

Yep, they're exactly the same. The only difference is based on the speaker. For example, I'd always say 'from dusk till dawn', never 'from dusk until dawn' - it just sounds unnecessarily long.

• 7 years ago

They have the same meaning. 'Til is just a faster way to type it or say. Some examples are:

I'll stay over your house until 5pm.

I'll stay over your house 'till 5pm.

They are pretty much the same things.

• 3 years ago

'Till' is the usual form, but 'until' is used when it is used at the beginning of the sentence.

e.g., He kept quiet till his turn came.

Until his turn came, he kept quiet.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This question is worth people's attention

• 7 years ago

They mean the same thing. 'Til is a contraction of "until".

- .--

• 5 years ago

thank you very much

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.