RAM 4 gb or 6gb ddr3 ?

hey i really want to know whether i should go for 4 gb or 6 gb ram (ddr3) bcoz some say that installing odd no. of sticks ( modules) is not so good.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

If you have a 32 Bit operating System then 4GB is the Maximum you can install.

32 Bit operating systems will only address 4 GB.

If you have a 64 bit operating system then you can have up to the specs of your motherboard and some will allow 32 GB of RAM.

Most Motherboard have Four RAM slots - and are set up for Dull Channel Ram - Meaning you need Four sticks of exactly the same kind and size for the Dull Channel to work.

If you put in only three sticks, the dull channel will not work. the computer will still work with the three sticks but not as efficiently.

• dohan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

particular you may. yet your notebook sort 'expandable ram' could be 6 gb or extra. I even have 8 gb expandable ram. Now i'm applying 4 gb + a million gb ddr3. Definately you're able to try this and decide for it. valuable that could be useful you.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It depends on what you use the computer for. If you are a gamer 4GB is enough but if you work with large database, spreadsheets or heavy image editing software 8GB would be better.

There is a performance boost when installing RAM sticks in pairs but it's not that massive, so if all you can afford is 6GB (and you really need 6GB) then go for it. 8GB would be a better bet though.

• 8 years ago

windows 7 cannot fully utilize 6GB of RAM. If you have a 64bit Operating system, then go for 6GB...but if u have 32 bit OS... then 4 GB RAM is enough

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

What are you gonna use them for?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.