asa
asa asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

Could this tree root damage my home?

Ok I had a papaya tree which was growing close to a wall. The wall collapsed recently and we found the culprit to be the papaya tree who's roots had gone into the stones and broken it apart.When heavy rain came, the wall just gave way.

Now, I have a guava tree close to my house(about 5 feet away from its base) and Im scared its roots may damage the building foundation as well. We want to cut it down but want a second opinion as I really love that tree but still losing my entire home isnt worth it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Bobbie

I dunno, as many other posters have told you to contact an arborist. But, as a rule, you need to have a 6 to 10 foot barrier around your home and not permit trees to grow close to your home or foundation (period).

You need expert advice on this one. I don't know about papaya or guava trees, but I know oak, elm, maple, etc., all cause damage to sewers and foundations.

Contact a local tree chappie.