"Faith healing" churches linked to two dozen child deaths. Why do atheists care what others believe?

Two Philadelphia faith-healing churches have a long history of the youngest members of their congregation dying because parents refused medical care.

Families who attend Faith Tabernacle Congregation in North Philadelphia and First Century Gospel Church in Juniata Park have lost more than two dozen children to illness since 1971, according to non-profit Children’s Healthcare Is a Legal Duty, Inc. (CHILD, Inc.). Both churches believe in the power of prayer over modern medicine.

The Schaibles are one of those families.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible stand charged with third-degree murder and other crimes after their 7-month-old son Brandon died from bacterial pneumonia, dehydration and a group B streptococcus infection on April 18.

Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams says the boy’s death could have been prevented, but the couple instead turned to prayer.

This is the second time the couple lost a child to illness. They were sentenced to 10 years probation after the 2009 death of their 2-year-old son Kent. Kent died after contracting pneumonia, an illness prosecutors said could have been prevented with basic medical care.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Faith-He...

When atheists talk about religion, it proves that the Christian god is real, right? Otherwise, they wouldn't still be talking about him.

• Fitz

Personally i think they should be jailed for negligent manslaughter.

I saw an article about the Schaibles a few days ago. They are totally unfit parents. I hope they don't have any other kids and are sentenced to a very long jail time.

"In a media interview last month, Pastor Nelson Clark of the First Century Gospel Church, said the Brandon and Ken Schaible died because of their parents’ “spiritual lack.”"

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/24/prosecuto...

So according to their pastor, their first child died from lack of faith. They should have learned something and taken the 2nd to a doctor.

I also would love to see the pastors brought up on accessory charges.

The ignorance of your question astounds me.

I'm talking about a Radioactive Pink Bigfoot hidden in my cellar filming a pornographic movie starring Angelia Jolie and Ron Jeremy. That doesn't make it real.

Now then, faith healing . . . these people:

Need. To. Be. Commited.

Period, hospitalize them, they're lunatics. They have no right to breed or care for other's children, every. This has to be as, if not more irresponsible than giving a three year old a loaded rifle.

They need to be held accountable, and being allowed to hide behind their faith is unacceptable.

They neglected thier children. And they didn't have them taken away . . . eff that.

I had a daughter die of SIDS and had to fight to keep my eldest child and there was no neglect involved, but these people, they get to keep their other kids.

No.

Those children need removed from the house, and those parents sent somewhere far away where they can not harm the rest of society.

If you think God's real because atheists talk about him then you also saying if I talk about Harry Potter I must be considering enrolling my son in Hogwarts?

And I don't need to say anymore because you talking about all the children dying because of Religion is proof enough how dangerous Religion is.

So you've never heard the story: A guy is on a little patch of sand when his whole city floods and cries "lord, help!" and someone comes by in a row boat and says "GET IN!" and the man replies, "no, that's ok, I"m waiting for God to help me." So another person comes by with a boat and says "Hurry up, come with me, the water is getting higher!" and the dude replies: "no, I will not, I have faith that GOD will save me!" And the man continued to cry out "Lord, Help!" until he died in the flood. Ok, so lesson learned - God gave us many resources, like hospitals, medical science, medicines to HELP us. If you don't GO to the hospital and do all that is humanly possible and pray along with it, you are not acting in good stewardship. God never told us to go sit and expect everything to drop from the sky - He gave us arms, legs, working brains, etc. We are to USE them! These people should have had their kids in the hospital using the God-given medicines and praying along with it.

Group B Strep Infection (Streptococcus agalactiae) is a bacterial infection that can be found in a woman's vagina or rectum and passed to the baby during delivery.

On average, about 1,200 babies a year contract Strep B infection and studies typically show 15% of infants with this infection die, newer studies may suggest a decrease in that number in the US\ Britain reports about 300 cases of infant Strep B per year and 15% mortality, about 45 deaths per year.

While I think it is perfectly stupid to not get the best medical care for yourself and your children possible, I also think that it is repugnant beyond belief and sensationalism for a prosecutor to charge parents with third degree murder if their child dies from an infectious disease that has as high as 15% mortality in developed countries even if the children have medical treatment. It is fake piety and unjust to add this kind of an insult to the loss of a child by pretending to care about the welfare of a child they would have been happy too defend the abortion of just weeks or months earlier.

just one more picture of the pot calling the kettle black.

Source(s): MM

The is no naturalistic explanation of good and evil. When a person dies or is murdered the atheist has no naturalistic reason to have a problem with that, because the lies of evolution and natural selection encourages the death of anything that would be competition for the food resources.

So when an atheist calls something good or evil, they are making themselves to be hypocritical. For there is no standard of good and evil in the atheistic worldview.

One can believe in God/Gods/Goddess(s) or whatever one wants to believe in--flying spaghetti monster--whatever AND one can have the INTELLIGENCE to realize that we have medicine and science for a reason. If a child is sick, then a hospital will make it better, and dammit I'm getting my kid to the hospital because I love him/her (whether it's a God thing or chemicals in the brain thing creating my love) and I don't want them to die. But of course, this requires "INTELLIGENCE" and "EDUCATION." Two things severely lacking in the "die-hard religious nutjob" area. I have known people who believe in a deity/deities and who also believe in science--it just requires intellect.

I'm glad to see this again. Every other day I see some Xian ask why atheists care what others think/believe.

• And Countless Cases Of Pedophilia And Abuse Of Minors And Members...

at least they're being true to their religion. all the other Christians that seek medical attention obviously like faith in there god don't they?

lastly since you're talking about atheism there must not be any God according to your logic.