My dad was recently diagnosed with esophageal varices 2. can you help me with a diet chart and precautions ?

My dad has been leading a healthy life. A week ago, there was a lot of blood in his stool and vomits. His platelet count came to 50k, haemoglobin around 5. He was admitted to a good intensive care unit. Doctors diagnosed him, and said that it is case of permanent liver damage. I don't have a med background,... show more My dad has been leading a healthy life. A week ago, there was a lot of blood in his stool and vomits. His platelet count came to 50k, haemoglobin around 5. He was admitted to a good intensive care unit.
Doctors diagnosed him, and said that it is case of permanent liver damage. I don't have a med background, they used words like melena, portal hypertension, haemo-something, and Cihorris.
What makes me wonder is that dad never touched alcohol in his whole life and he has good eating habits. Then why :( ? Can he be wrongly diagnosed ? Final report said he had esophageal varices grade 2.

Anyways, if this is the case, please help me with a diet chart. He is diabetic also. But his sugar levels aren't that high. It doesn't have to be a proper diet chart but just write vegetables, pulses, milk etc, what he can have in what quantity, etc.

I will be very thankful to you. Everybody gets a star. Thanks.