Which do you prefer - bake, boil or roast potatoes before mashing them?

just taking a poll folks..

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best answer

Definitely boiled. That way you can have any flavor profile you'd like with them. Btw - here's a little secret to making fluffier mash: After you peel the potatoes (if you choose to do so), cut the potatoes into 1 and 1/2 inch dice. Allow them to soak in cold water for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the cloudy water, and add fresh water. Repeat until water is no longer cloudy. Boil and then mash as you normally would. It is even better if you pass the potatoes through a "potato-ricer" or a hand cranked food mill as opposed to a hand held masher or food processor.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I am confused about what is the difference between baked or roasted. Since I have never had roasted potatoes. where have I been.? wow

I would have to go with what I know. Boiled potatoes then mashed.

Source(s): Camille
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

In boiling potatoes they absorb water, which makes the veggie easier to mash and gives a better consistency. Baking or broiling will take water out of the potato and make the mash too dry.

• 6 years ago

If I am going to make mashed potatoes they get boiled or steamed.

If I want to have baked or browned potatoes they get roasted.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I don't eat mashed potatoes, I eat baked and boiled potatoes.

• 6 years ago

boil the potatoes & drain them before mashing them

• 6 years ago

Steam them in a folding steam basket so they're not sitting in the water. Then mash them with a fork at the table, add ghee & tarragon or rosemary, & eat them. Steam some other faster cooking veggies like carrots & zucchini in a separate steam basket. Then I can eat them all together. yum, yum.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

roast potatoes

• Angel
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

chopped into chunks and boiled! this way there is "potato broth" to use in the potatoes and gravy and maybe some to add to the veggie stew broth savings.

• 6 years ago

baked potatoes for me

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.