Does new (replaced) clutch plate take time to get set with engine ?

My car has clocked 43000 Kilometres and today I changed its whole clutch kit (clutch plate, pressure plate, bearings etc) from service station because the old one had become very hard. When I got delivery of my car after the replacement of clutch kit andI was about to test its performance, the car was just hesitating a bit to move forward when I let go of the clutch and stepped on the gas, but didn't knock and when I was driving it on higher gears, the cars throttle response was feeling much with new clutch as compared with the old clutch. Is it that this new clutch plate will take some time to get "set" with engine ?

Favorite Answer

It the engine is increasing in speed, but actual ground speed isn't then the clutch is slipping. Either the clutch is not adjusted right or the fly wheel needs resurfaced.

If the engine is "bogging down" or the car is not accelerating fast it is a tune up problem or the is just as fast as the car can do the job.

Remember if the old clutch was slipping the engine would make it sound like you were going.

I do break in a clutch- take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles. I can't say it is required, but I recommend it.

It would have been a good move to have the flywheel re-surfaced. Engine hesitation isn't the fault of the clutch. See the dealer of your car to find the cause.

no not really ! did you resurface the flywheel ? it might be glazed from the old clutch disc! all i ever did was put it in and adjusted the clutch and drove the car !

What vehicle?Many vehicles need to relearn the driving after the battery was disconnected.Most are between 15--30 miles.

Source(s): mechanic

new clutches never need bedding in. if we have any issues its likely to be glazed flywheel face or incorrect clutch settings.