Who coined the term pick-up as it refers to a small truck? And when?

• ?

They were early delivery vehicles and they started in the mid 1920s, the first a version of the Model T. I do believe they were called that right from the get-go. And Chevy introduced their first pickup around 1930.An early model Plymouth was designated a PT for pickup truck. No idea who, it may not be credited to any one person, but Ford was the first to produce them, so I'd give them credit.

• JR

I was told that Ford, who made the first "pick-up trucks", shipped them to the dealers in crates. Part of the truck was assembled at the local dealer (using the crate as part of the flat bed). Once the truck was completely assembled, the new owner was called to pick it up, hence, unlike larger commercial trucks which were delivered, the dealers called these "pick-up" trucks.

Also, the term pick-up is used because the back of the truck is used to pick up and carry things

Well it's simply. PICK UP and go. Which is what the small delivery vans did back then.