glenn123 asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 7 years ago

What's the difference between identifying and labeling?

With regards to yourself?

With regards to others?

Please elaborate.

There's a learning in the making if I ever saw one. Excellent question.

I label myself....only if I have to, like if put to the challenge.

Otherwise I see that there are roles I play in the lives of others. Sometimes a mystic, sometimes a musician, other times a reminder, occasionally I play the role of teacher and rarely the mediator.

Mostly I see the potential in others and encourage or allow them to play out those roles.

I am both a seer and a seeker at once.

I will identify with most any person or event that crosses my path.....I am attracting that thing or person, as I understand it....thus I identify with them or that.

As for labelling....teacher always....and anything otherwise is my personal perspective tripping on my ideas of what is.

Identifying is usually about a practical approach, usually it's part of the process of finding a solution.

Labeling is about a verdict, it's a 'fixed result', often people forget to find a solution when they do this.

• : )

Identity is about unique qualities of an individual - it serves to distinguish selves from others.

Label is more of a derogation for shared characteristics - it is diminutive of stereotypes.

You identified someone, that can be kept hidden if required, you labeled someone, it won't be hidden.

Labeling is what you say about yourself, identifying is what you feel about yourself

One is recognition, the other is judgment.