glenn123 asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 7 years ago

What's the difference between identifying and labeling?

With regards to yourself?

With regards to others?

Please elaborate.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

There's a learning in the making if I ever saw one. Excellent question.

I label myself....only if I have to, like if put to the challenge.

Otherwise I see that there are roles I play in the lives of others. Sometimes a mystic, sometimes a musician, other times a reminder, occasionally I play the role of teacher and rarely the mediator.

Mostly I see the potential in others and encourage or allow them to play out those roles.

I am both a seer and a seeker at once.

I will identify with most any person or event that crosses my path.....I am attracting that thing or person, as I understand it....thus I identify with them or that.

As for labelling....teacher always....and anything otherwise is my personal perspective tripping on my ideas of what is.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Identifying is usually about a practical approach, usually it's part of the process of finding a solution.

Labeling is about a verdict, it's a 'fixed result', often people forget to find a solution when they do this.

• : )
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Identity is about unique qualities of an individual - it serves to distinguish selves from others.

Label is more of a derogation for shared characteristics - it is diminutive of stereotypes.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You identified someone, that can be kept hidden if required, you labeled someone, it won't be hidden.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Labeling is what you say about yourself, identifying is what you feel about yourself

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

One is recognition, the other is judgment.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.