I want a scene in black and white. I have 2 options. 1. Shoot in black and white 2. Or make it black and white in post processing.?

Which option I should go for?

If you shoot in B+W you are relying on the camera's settings which may not be optimum for your requirements. Better to have all information (i.e. full colour) and edit it than find you're lacking something because of camera processing.

Having said that, Leica have a b+w digital camera, for a large number of $$$$$

• Sumi

If you're using a digital camera for both, (as opposed to using B&W film for the first option), then most definitely shoot in color and do the conversion in post. Shoot RAW, and do the conversion with Lightroom and/or Nik Silver Efex.

Take a few in colour, and a few in black and white, and edit the black and white scenes. See which you prefer

Always, always shoot in colour & convert to B&W in post. Shooting in B&W will give you very limited options as to how the final image will look like. You can also try a lot more ways to convert to B&W this way.

Do a proper B&W conversion in decent software & your can adjust RGB channels separately and get much 'punchier' B&W images than you could take in camera.

DEFINITELY 100% USE POST PROCESSING. You need to be able to look for highlights and shadows on a color photograph, then make it black and white. Consider possibly playing around with the exposure, contrast, etc. I never use the b&w setting on my camera.

The general rule of thumb is to caputre as much information at the time of taking the picture, and then remove any unwanted data in post processing.

It does not matter much how you shoot, but possibly technically better to shoot in colour and convert in the computer.

But more important is to think in b/w as you shoot, since not all colour images convert to good-looking b/w pics.

The second. That way if you change your mind later it will be easier to edit. :)