best college university?

I'm wondering what will be the best college to go too for a degree in forensics. I wanna be that guy that does autopsies and things so i figure I'll need a medical background for that. Also if possible I'd love to minor in psychology. Any help with this is awesome.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Ashley
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favourite answer

That guy who does autopsies and things is called a Forensic Pathologist. To become one, you'll need to start at a four-year college or university and earn a bachelors degree (in any subject you want) while also taking the courses required for medical school. Then you'll take the MCAT, which is a test like the SAT, but specifically for medical school admissions. Then you apply to medical school, where you'll spend four years earning your medical degree. After that, you'll need four to five years of training in anatomic, clinical and/or forensic pathology, and a one-year residency or fellowship in forensic pathology. And then you're good to go.

When choosing an undergraduate college for your bachelor's degree, you should keep two things in mind:

1) Medical school admissions is very competitive; about half the people who apply don't get in. You will need a very high college GPA if you hope to get into med school. So you should choose a college where you will have a high chance of academic success and can be among the top students in your class. Keep in mind that many college classes are graded on a curve, which means you're competing against your classmates for a grade. If you attend the "best school you can get into", where everyone is super smart, it will be harder to rise to the top of your class. Medical schools don't care which college you attended; they care about how well you did at whichever school you were at. So pick one where you can really succeed.

2) Medical school is very expensive. If you or your parents have unlimited funds to pay for college and med school, then you can choose whichever school you want. However, if you will be taking out loans for college, you'll want to choose a school that will leave you with the least amount of debt. You don't want to take out giant loans for college, and then more giant loans for medical school.

So the best school for your career choice is one that (a) you can do really well at; and (b) will cost you the least amount of money.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.