Why do few people dress up to fly?

In the late 60s my brother was in the army and my family took him to the Dallas airport to fly to his next duty station. I was about 13 years old but I notice virtually all the men passengers wore coats and ties and the women were all in nice dresses. I fly fairly frequently now and almost nobody(including myself)dresses nice to fly anymore. What's changed? It may partly be high security but not all. People were already becoming more casual when flying even before 09/01/01

Back then air travel was rare and only for the rich. Airline ticket prices were quite high. However with deregulation, ticket prices have dropped and air travel is affordable to just about everyone. With that standards have also relaxed. We as a society have gotten more casual. Think of the workplace. Unless you work for the banks, very few men wear ties to work. When I started at my current job, some people wore ties. I was one of the last people to stop wearing ties. Also in the 90s when I went to church I wore a tie. Now at my church only the pastor still wears a tie. Women used to wear pantyhose a lot more frequently. Now even to weddings many women don't wear pantyhose and I have been to weddings where men show up in jeans.

Air travel has been equated with taking the bus where one does not need to get dressed up.

Hey there,

The reason few people dress up to fly nowadays is because of the huge increase in the amount of people flying. Aviation is no longer just for the rich and now almost anyone can fly. Now it is such commonplace there is no need to dress up.

Hope that helps. Have a good one.

I have an idea that may have some merit. In the '60s, flight was still a relatively uncommon event for most Americans; only the business class made regular flights. Now, flight is common for all people and when we fly for vacation, we are generally casual about it. We don't dress up to go on vacation. That is my thought. Otherwise, society in general has become more casual, less formal. Take, for instance, restaurants; most people are casual when they go out to eat.

Source(s): my opinion

That was when all passengers got great service and lots of leg room. When deregulation occurred in the 1970s, the airlines started treating people like cattle so the people started to no longer care.

• Hugo90

It was a luxury then, now it's just transport.

incase you meet your futuure