What is this stuff and how can i get it off?

My friend bought a mauser m24/47 and when it was bought there was this dark yellow waxy stuff that was on everything, the bolt, trigger, magazine. We ve fired it with no problem but my friend is concerned about shooting it with that stuff there.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favourite answer

It is cosmoline. It probably won't hurt anything except to be smelly and greasy, but I would recommend you do your best to remove it. You especially do not want any in the chamber. Your best bet is to :

1. Disassemble the rifle, including the removing the stock and dissembling the bolt. (There are direction on the web on how to do this.)

2. Wipe off as much as you can with cloth/paper towels.

3. Soak/wipe metal parts with mineral oil or similar solvent to remove the remaining cosmoline

4. Put a light coat of oil on all metal parts (wipe off excess)

5. Wash the stock in warm water with Murphy's Oil Soap. Wipe off excess water and let it air dry, but do not let it dry in the sun.

6. Reassemble

When you shot it, don't be surprised to see more sweated out of the stock when the barrel gets warm.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

I would guess cosmoline but could be wrong. If it has already performed well then no harm done. Some of those protective mixtures get hard and interfere with the delicate mechanism but most do not....just looks nasty.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

Cosmoline. Diesel fuel is used by the military. Dab it on with a wet brush and scrub lightly. Good for waterproofing your stock too.

In other words, don't worry about getting sloppy around the wood

• Matt
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

often times this is a form of protective lubricant put on guns to prevent corrosion. some clp breakfree will take it right off.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • chris
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

That is cosmoline it is a heavy wax like oil that prevents rust. You should clean it off as it also holds onto dirt which could damage your gun.

• 5 years ago

brush your teeth to remove tarter

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.